Women gear up for UAAs

Men’s and women’s tennis each won two matches this weekend.

[img id=”78198″ align=”alignleft”]

Men’s tennis (12–5) swept aside host Lake Forest and Carthage Sunday while women’s tennis conquered host Wheaton Saturday before defeating Coe 7–0 at a home dual match. The men’s team won a pair of matches against the Foresters and the Red Men, 8–0 and 7–2, respectively.

Third-year Will Zhang, second-year Troy Brinker, and first-year Dillon Klincke, won each of their singles matches in the first, third, and sixth slots. Brinker extended his winning streak to eight matches and improved his season record to 14–3, while Klincke notched his fourth and fifth straight decisions and moved to 9–4 on the year.

Chicago went six for six in doubles play with two wins each from fourth-years Garrett Brinker and Steve Saltarelli in first, Troy Brinker and second-year Jan Stefanski in second, and third-year Kunal Pawa and first-year Harrison Abrams in third. Troy Brinker and Stefanski, now 14–2 for the season, stretched their winning streak to 10 matches. Abrams and Pawa improved to 7–1.

The third-ranked women’s tennis team won matches both days of the weekend. They dominated 9–0 against host Wheaton Saturday and faced the 26th-ranked Coe at home on Sunday, winning their sixth consecutive match.

Third-year Chrissy Hu and second-year Kendra Higgins led the Maroons in doubles play on Sunday, delivering an 8–0 win and their 10th straight victory. The defending NCAA D-III doubles champions improved to 21–5 on the year.

In the other doubles match, second-years Aswini Krishnan and Carmen Vaca Guzman notched an 8–1 decision to win for the eighth time in nine outings.

Chicago (16–3) won all five singles matches in straight sets. Higgins posted a 6–2, 6–2 victory in the first slot for her 18th consecutive win to go 27–1 this season.

Second-year Jennifer Kung, second-year Vaca Guzman, first-year Linden Li, and second-year Tiffany Nguyen, delivered wins in second through fifth singles, respectively.

The Maroons look to hit top form before heading into their UAA matches this weekend.

“I think both matches this weekend went well,” Kung said. “It was windy, especially on Saturday at Wheaton, but we all dealt with it well. It’s always tough to play when it’s really windy, especially since we’ve been playing indoors a lot lately.”

“You have to make adjustments like being more patient and moving your feet more since the wind can make things more unpredictable,” she continued.

Next Friday through Sunday, the women look forward to the UAA Championships, which will be held in Cleveland, Ohio.

“I think everyone is excited for UAAs,” Kung said. “We have a really strong conference, but I think we have a really good shot at winning our first UAA title this year and finally ending Emory’s winning streak. They have a very tough team, and we’re always very close with them. It won’t be easy, but I believe that we can beat them.”

The women hosted St. Mary’s Monday afternoon and cruised to a 9–0 win while the men will return to action Wednesday when they host North Central at the Stagg Field Courts at 3:30 p.m.