Seniors win three of four this week, bid farewell to Stagg

Softball trounced Beloit Tuesday before splitting a double-header against North Central at their last home game of the season Thursday.

[img id=”78281″ align=”alignleft”]

Softball claimed three out of four games this week, sweeping at Beloit Tuesday before splitting a double-header at their last home game of the season Thursday afternoon against North Central. The success came despite the fact that the Maroons had to switch up their lineup slightly on Tuesday due to a number of absences.

First-year pitchers Kim Cygan and Melissa Collins combined to throw 12 scoreless innings in the first doubleheader. Cygan (4–1) tossed a complete-game two hitter en route to her first career shutout as the Maroons claimed the first game 8–0.

“I was very excited to get a collegiate shut out,” Cygan said. “It felt really good to pitch a whole game.”

During the game, she didn’t allow a single Buccaneer past second base.

Meanwhile, fourth-year Lauren White went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBIs, while first-year shortstop Vicky Tomaka went 2-for-4 with two runs scored, an RBI, and a stolen base.

In game two, Collins and first-year Jacqueline Ryan combined on a four-hitter in a 6–1 victory for the Maroons. Collins allowed only three hits and one walk while striking out eight over five scoreless frames. Ryan pitched the final two innings to record her second save of the season.

The Maroons led 3–0 after six innings before a two-run double from second-year shortstop and second baseman Julia Schneider highlighted a three-run Chicago seventh. Schneider finished the game 3-for-4 with three RBIs.

On Thursday, Chicago faced the 16th-ranked North Central at home and split the doubleheader.

The Maroons took the first game 8–1.

“We came out strong,” Schneider explained. “We played really well on defense and were hitting really well.”

The Maroons fell 5–3 to North Central in the second game at the completion of nine innings.

“We were 0–1 for most of the game,” Schneider said, “but then they hit a home run. Then when it came down to the 6th inning, they came back and it was 3–1. Then they scored two runs and it was tied at 3.”

“We played two extra innings; they scored two in the last one, and we weren’t able to come back,” she continued.

Although winning both games would have been exciting–especially because it was the last home game for the team’s four seniors, Kathleen Duffy, Alison Feibel, Jill Lenson, and Lauren White–the Maroons were happy with their first game win.

“The seniors had a good time,” Schneider explained. The younger team members decorated the locker room and hallways, as well as the fence by Stagg Field. At the break, they presented the seniors with flowers and pictures.

“The whole team was so pumped and ready to play,” Cygan concurred, “not only to make it a memorable Senior Day but to compete with a top team and prove how good we really are and that we can compete with anyone.”

“It was awesome being able to honor the seniors,” she continued. “It’s been so much fun playing with them, and I have learned so much from each of them, and I really look up to them.”

“We really did [our best Thursday] for our seniors, for our team, for the chance to make regionals,” Schneider added.

With their record at 23–10–1, Chicago is hoping this week’s wins, combined with their next few results, will push them into regional standing.

They have two double-headers this weekend, and will find out May 9 if they qualify for the regional competition on May 13.

“Unfortunately, we came up a little short in getting two wins [at Thursday’s game], but I am still really proud of the way the team is playing, and I can’t wait to see how we do this weekend,” Cygan said.

The Maroons head to Wesleyan Saturday, May 1.