STD—04/30/10

Tracey Morgan and the Ren Society’s new exhibit

Friday | April 30

Burn off calories while sticking it to the Man at the Critical Mass bike ride. The concept behind the monthly congregation of cyclists is that, through safety in numbers, cyclists can “take back” the city from the car culture that dominates everyday life. The ride is designed for both experienced and inexperienced cyclists alike, and routes are usually between 15 to 20 miles. (Daley Plaza, 5:30 p.m., free)

When 30 Rock actor Tracy Morgan performed his stand-up routine in New York last December, the show made headlines for the stream of audience members who walked out on the raunchy and borderline offensive performance. Expect something similar at Morgan’s stand-up show at the Chicago Theatre, as he has consistently warned fans, “You want the clean Tracy? Turn on the TV” (175 North State Street, 8 p.m., $29.50)

Saturday | May 1

Spend your Saturday with more than 3,500 animal lovers and their dogs at the 16th annual Bark in the Park sponsored by the Anti-Cruelty Society. In addition to a 5K walk, there will be canine obstacle and agility courses, along with other demonstrations and exhibits all geared towards raising awareness and money for Chicago’s comprehensive, open-door humane society as well as the Illinois SPCA. (4400 North Lake Shore Drive, 9 a.m., donations suggested)

Don’t shave that playoff beard just yet. After an exciting first round, the Blackhawks eliminated the Nashville Predators and will be playing the Vancouver Canucks this Saturday in the conference semifinals. Be sure to arrive a few minutes early to catch the Canadian national anthem. (1901 West Madison Street, 8 p.m., $30)

Sunday | May 2

The Seductiveness of the Interval, the Renaissance Society’s newest exhibit, showcases the work of three Romanian artists in a two-story architectural structure. The artists collectively explore themes of exile and hope through a distinctly Romanian narrative. The opening reception will also include a discussion with the artists. (Renaissance Society, 4 p.m., free)

Monday | May 3

Inventor, entrepreneur, and policymaker Sam Pitroda will be at the Harris School to discuss his work as chair of the National Knowledge Commission in India. Pitroda has spent the past four decades working to bridge the global digital divide. (Harris School Quiet Study Area, 2 p.m., free)

Tuesday | May 4

Multimedia artist and current Center for the Study of Race, Politics, and Culture Artist-in-Residence Kimberly Mayhorn will be giving an intimate lunchtime performance titled “The Tea Party: An Intimate Conversation.” Mayhorn’s work explores issues of race, environment, and identity in the U.S. (5710 South Woodlawn Avenue, 12 p.m., free)

Wednesday | May 5

At its peak in 1997, over 10,000 traders worked the pit at the Chicago Board of Trade and engaged in all kinds of dirty competition, from spitting to nose-biting. In Floored, James Allen Smith captures the super-sized egos and personalities of the traders as well as how they are becoming increasingly marginalized in the era of digital trading. Smith will appear in person following the screening at the Gene Siskel Film Center. (164 North State Street, 8 p.m., $7)

Thursday | May 6

In the documentary Forget Baghdad, Iraqi-born filmmaker Samir focuses on the lives of four expatriate Iraqi-Jews and members of the Iraqi Communist Party who were forced to leave Iraq after the founding of the state of Israel. The film reflects on the stereotypes of “the Jew” and “the Arab” and the ways each protagonist had to reconcile the two identities. (Max Palevsky Cinema, 7 p.m., $5)