Logan Arts Center robbed during construction

750 feet of copper wire were stolen from the construction site of the David and Reva Logan Center for the Arts last week.

Enough copper wire to nearly stretch across the Titanic was stolen from the construction site of the future Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts, located just south of the Midway on South Drexel Avenue.

The two rolls of wire, one 500-feet long and one 250-feet long, were likely taken between October 30 and 31, though the crime was not reported until November 1, according to University of Chicago Police Department spokesperson Robert Mason. The stolen wire was most likely going to be used for electricity conduction.

“It is a construction site, and you’ll see a lot of people working, coming and going, [both] contractors and subcontractors,” Mason said. “There is an ongoing investigation.”

Copper prices hit record highs earlier this year, and opportunists have pulled similar crimes in Chicago. Last month, police arrested two men who attempted to sell dozens of stolen copper planters to a recycling plant for as much as $44,500, the Chicago Tribune reported on October 31.

No arrests have been made and there are currently no suspects in the crime, according to Mason.

The Logan Arts Center has been under construction since 2010, and was designed by the firm Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects. The Center is set to open in the spring of 2012 and will include a performance venue and rehearsal space, among other arts facilities. Turner Construction is the general contractor for the project.