Too Elite to Beat

Maroons reach Elite Eight with dominant win over Greensboro

The Maroons defeated Greensboro today in an 87-61 rout to reach the Elite Eight. Four Maroons were in double figures, led by the 16 points of Joann Torres, who hit four of five three pointers. Torres also snatched three assists to go along with three rebounds. Torres has been an extremely reliable fifth option for the Maroons, who already featured four players averaging ten or more points a game. One of the most prolific three point shooters in the UAA, Torres shot an astounding .545 from beyond the arc this season and been the Maroon's mainstay at point guard all year.

Another unexpected scoring outburst came off the bench from fourth year Dana Kaplan. Kaplan scored 13 points in just 21 minutes off the bench, knocking down five of nine shots from the field. Kaplan’s effort highlighted the extremely strong play off the bench for the Maroons, who outscored Greensboro 30-2 in bench points.

Greensboro was quickly outclassed by a Maroons squad that has dominated opponents all year. The first half score was 43-28, and the Maroons led by as much as 26 in the second half. The Maroons manhandled the Pride inside, outrebounding Greensboro 49-35 and doubling their scoring production inside, 36-18.

The Maroons will take on the winner of Wash U and Thomas More at 6 pm tomorrow. Thomas More is undefeated and has been ranked number one in the country all year long. Chicago has defeated Wash U twice this year, both at home and in St. Louis.