Lab Schools students publish work on piracy, teddy bears

The students’ work appeared in the journal

Four students at the University of Chicago Lab Schools had their work published in the two most recent editions of The Concord Review, a selective publication that highlights high school research.

Natalia Ginsburg, Patricia Perozo, David Tong, and Kristina Wald are among students selected from hundreds of history research submissions, according to the journal’s website. Tong and Perozo were featured in the winter 2011 edition of the journal, and Ginsburg and Wald were published in the fall 2011 edition.

Paul Horton, a history teacher at the Lab Schools, advised Ginsburg, Perozo, and Tong as they wrote their papers. Ginsburg studied 17th-century piracy, Perozo the Latin American author Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz, and Tong the Macartney expedition in China. Wald wrote about the history of teddy bears.

“The greatest honor that any teacher can receive is recognition for his students,” Horton said. “These students have gained a great deal of confidence and they know that they can do what the best undergraduates can do. They are ready for a very demanding humanities course at the next level.”

The Concord Review was founded in 1987 by William Fitzhugh, who continues to serve as the journal’s editor and publisher. Since then, the journal has featured research papers from students around the country on topics ranging from Irish nationalism to Chinese immigration.

“The history research paper can help restore the importance of academic reading and writing in our schools, and in turn, refocus the purpose of education,” Fitzhugh said.

While Horton said that he was proud of his students, he hoped that their success would encourage them to take on similar pursuits in the future.

“[These students] know that they are capable of much more. I predict that they will be more open to tougher challenges in the future,” he said.