Slate, liaison candidates to face off in Tuesday debate

Candidates for Executive Slate, liaison to the Board of Trustees, and Community and Government Liaison will meet in McCormick Tribune Lounge today at 5:30 for the annual Spring SG debate. The event is open to all students.

Douglas Everson, third-year candidate for Vice President for Administration for the “Connect” slate, expects his slate’s years of SG experience to become apparent at tonight’s debate. “Given our breadth of experience within Student Government (as well as other campus organizations), we came up with a platform that is both feasible, as well as one that will positively impact student life,” Everson said in an email message. Everson is currently a member of College Council and chair of the Student Government Finance Committee (SGFC).

Ben Yu, second-year presidential candidate for the “ChicagoSpirit” slate, has criticized Connect’s platform as business as usual. “Much of Connect’s platform is an extension of current SG policies, with minimal innovation and expansion. ChicagoSpirit brings to the table ideas for bus-shelters at the shuttle stops across from the Reynolds Club and the Reg, a Bank of America ATM on campus and unprecedented support for Greek Life and Club Sports,” Yu said in an email.

(To read Connect’s full platform click here, and for ChicagoSpirit’s click here.)

A third slate, Delta Upsilon’s perennial and satirical Moose Party, is calling for dancing mummies at the Oriental Institute and the creation of an IM Hunger Games program. (Full disclosure: I’m a member of DU and an avid proponent of dancing mummies at the OI.)