Recent daytime crimes include mugging near Quad

The mugging is the first of its kind since 2010.
+
Darren Leow

A string of at least three daylight thefts within the past week has created concern in Hyde Park and on the University campus. The latest incident took place at approximately 2:55 p.m. yesterday on the Midway Plaisance directly across from Harper Library, when a student was mugged at gunpoint.

According to University spokesperson Jeremy Manier, that robbery was a rare and isolated incident.

“We had not seen an incident like this—near the quad and during or close to school hours—since 2010. Attempted robberies during daylight hours are relatively unusual in this neighborhood,” Manier wrote in an e-mail.

UCPD will be implementing foot patrols along East 59th Street and introducing Segway-like patrol vehicles and bicycle patrols through the gardens along the Midway Plaisance in response to the incident, Manier added.

At least two other incidents occurred in daylight hours on November 12 and November 15 on East 54th Street between South Hyde Park Boulevard and South Cornell Avenue. The individual committed the burglaries by forcing his way into the homes after knocking on the door. According to DNAinfo Chicago, the suspect is a “black male, 40-50 years old, 5-foot-4 to 5-foot-8, and weighing 150 to 180 pounds.”