Weekend flow | November 8, 9, 10

This weekend, take in an Ibsen play, celebrate Black Friday early, and think about classic novels while eating lunch.

Friday | November 8

If you didn’t get tickets for Fall Formal or if that’s just not your thing, consider doing something different and head to Pilsen for Second Fridays Gallery Night, hosted by the Chicago Arts District. You’ll be just as classy, browsing through unique and diverse pieces of art, chatting with artists at their open houses, and enjoying some wine and cheese—the epitome of chic. Look forward to a night of exploration, art appreciation, and plenty of memories. If the light refreshments don’t hold you over, feel free to venture into the vibrant Pilsen neighborhood for some stick-to-your-ribs Mexican fare. South Halsted and West 18th Streets, 6–10 p.m., free.

If you haven’t seen theater on campus yet this quarter, today is the day to do it. You won’t want to miss Hedda Gabler, put on by University Theater/Theater and Performance Studies (TAPS). This play, originally written in 1890 by Henrik Ibsen, is brought to life once again by director (and third-year) James Fleming and a dedicated cast and crew. Full of drama, love, secrets, and tragedy, Hedda Gabler will undoubtedly keep you engaged and entertained, as well as enhance your appreciation for the outstanding theatrical talent of your fellow UChicago students. Logan Center, Theater East 127, 7:30 p.m., $6 in advance, $8 at the door.

Saturday | November 9

No, your eyes aren’t playing tricks on you; stores really are already filling their display windows with wreaths, bells, and everything holiday-related. To get into the spirit of the festivities (as early as it may be), come out to the Third Annual Wilder Mansion Holiday Market in the western suburb of Elmhurst. The free event, which will take place at the Wilder Mansion, is your one-stop shop for all your holiday gift needs, from handbags to jewelry to food products. Even if you’re holding off on Christmas shopping, don’t be surprised if you find that perfect keepsake for Aunt Sally. Over 50 food vendors and local artists will have products on offer. 211 South Prospect Avenue, 10 a.m.–4 p.m., free.

Looking to delve deeper into the classics, such as The Golden Bowl, Pride and Prejudice, Ulysses, and Middlemarch? Don’t miss Forms of Fiction: The Novel in English, a literary event full of readings, panels, and lectures from distinguished writers and academics from across the country and around the world. Although Saturday is the third and final day, there’s still plenty going on, including two panels on The Golden Bowl and Ulysses, centered around topics such as “Ulysses: Epic or Novel?” and “The Golden Bowl: Unintended Empires.” Duke University’s Fredric Jameson will give a lecture on “The Persistence of Narrative,” and a reception will follow the event. Lunch is provided, but advance registration is requested. Logan Center, 9 a.m.–5 p.m., free.

Get ready to par-tay with a crowd of intelligent, passionate, and just plain fun people at The Point magazine’s Issue 7 Release Party. If you’ve never read the diverse and thoughtful essays of this biannual journal, be sure to pick up the brand-spanking-new (not to mention discounted) Issue 7 at the event. Join subscribers, writers, staff, and fanatics of The Point at the Bridgeport Art Center for an exciting night of meeting and mingling, with DJs dropping beats in the background. Chicago’s “rock ’n’ soul” band, The O’My’s, will also be performing: Don’t miss it. Be sure to RSVP on the Facebook event page, as names will be verified prior to entry. 1200 West 35th Street, 8:30 p.m.–2 a.m., $5 suggested donation, or free with purchase of the $10 magazine.

Sunday | November 10

As part of the Britten Festival series put on by The University of Chicago Presents, Spektral Quartet will be performing at the Logan Center. One of the UChicago department of music’s ensemble-in-residences, this dynamic foursome includes Aurelien Fort Pederzoli, Austin Wulliman, Doyle Armbrust, and Russell Rolen. Be prepared to behold the brilliant unity of the stringed instruments and energetic, passionate playing as the quartet performs pieces by Britten, Adès, Ferneyhough, and Bartok.  Logan Center, 3 p.m., free with UCID.