MAB cancels Summer Breeze beer garden

Due to Programming Coordinating Council (PCC) funding cuts, this year’s Summer Breeze festival will no longer feature the beer garden typically situated next to Botany Pond.

Instead, fourth-year Major Activities Board (MAB) chair Lyndsey McKenna said, the area around Botany Pond will feature alternative sources of entertainment, including vendors and sponsors with giveaways.

“I can say we will be hosting games and competition with prizes including two three-day Pitchfork Music Festival passes. We’ll have giveaways from a number of campus organizations, and we’re really excited to partner with Dance Marathon,” she said.

The PCC, which represents the six largest student programming groups, increased the funding for Doc Films earlier this year, resulting in smaller allocations for most of the other groups, including MAB, which also cut its annual Winter Quarter comedy show this year.

“Moving forward with Summer Breeze, we wanted to focus on artists and talent and production costs. We wanted to ensure that the concert event is our main focus,” she said. “Unfortunately, a beer garden just isn’t the main feature of that.”