Locking Arms for a Trauma Center

+
Sydney Combs

Members of the Trauma Center Coalition gathered Monday morning to protest for an adult Level I trauma center at East 56th Street and South Cottage Grove Avenue.  This essay documents the unfolding of the event.

At the construction site, FLY leader Darrius
At the construction site, FLY leader Darrius “Das” Lightfoot leads chants in front of protesters who had chained themselves together, blocking the entrance to the site.
After blocking the entrance did not halt construction at the site, the chained protesters divided, entered the site, and prevented concrete trucks from entering or leaving the site.
Protesters were able to temporarily halt construction and their efforts drew attention from workers. With their newfound audience, protesters were quick to remind workers that if they were hurt on the job, they too would have to travel to the nearest Level I trauma center 10 miles away.
Shortly after the protesters relocated to inside of the construction site, workers closed the entrances, preventing more protesters and reporters from entering the site.
After protesters outside of the site tore down sections of the green fabric lining the gate, construction workers draped pieces of plastic in order to obscure the crowd's view.
After protesters outside of the site tore down sections of the green fabric lining the gate, construction workers draped pieces of plastic in order to obscure the crowd’s view.
Despite the barriacades, fourth-year Patrick Dexter (left) and Lightfoot (center) continued chanting and climbed atop of construction equipment to elevate their viewpoint.
Forty minutes after entering the construction site, University police removed FLY member Tori Crider (left) and second-years Kayli Horne (center) and Helena Bassett from the premise.
UCPD forcibly remove one group of protesters from the construction site.
Harris (right) comforts Morris-Moore after she was removed from the premise by UCPD officers. Morris-Moore said that she could not feel her encased hand and was taken to the emergency room by ambulance.
Protesters gather together after being forced out of the construction site.
Second-year Kayli Horne (left) comforts FLY member Tori Crider after the day's protest came to an end.
Second-year Kayli Horne (left) comforts FLY member Tori Crider after the day’s protest came to an end.