UCMC brings subspecialty pediatric care to Naperville area

New services will include pediatric gastroenterology, pulmonary, and rheumatology.

The University of Chicago Medical Center (UCMC) and Edward-Elmhurst Health Center have partnered to provide advanced, subspecialty pediatric care to the Naperville community. 

Last month, doctors from the UCMC’s Comer Children’s Hospital joined suburban outpatient clinics at Edward Hospital in Naperville and Elmhurst Hospital in Elmhurst. New services include pediatric gastroenterology, pulmonary, and rheumatology. Additional subspecialties such as sports medicine, cardiology, hematology/oncology, neurology, and sleep medicine will be added later in the fall

“From the University of Chicago’s point of view, [this partnership] allows us to provide care for children whom we believe we can provide outstanding care for in the community,” said Dr. John M. Cunningham, chair of the pediatric department at UChicago’s Comer Children’s Hospital. “It also identifies children who have complex diseases where we not only have expertise but also scholarly interest in actually advancing and changing outcomes for children with serious and often devastating diseases.

This partnership reinforces a long-standing relationship between the UCMC and Edward Hospital. For the past nine years, Comer Children’s Hospital doctors, under the direction of Dr. Charles Rubin, have provided advanced pediatric care for Edward Hospital patients fighting complex cancers.

Dr. Rubin was appointed the first medical director for the Edward-Elmhurst program but he passed away in late July. “[Dr. Rubin] was one of the catalysts that allowed us to develop that relationship rapidly with Elmhurst,” Cunningham said.

“The partnership illustrates the importance and direction of pediatrics, and more broadly the University of Chicago Medicine, in developing the relationships across Chicago to provide outstanding care to all the communities in Chicago,” Cunningham said. “It also illustrates an ongoing trend of academic medical centers providing care not only on their campuses but also across the region that they serve.”