University opens up about Campus North

UChicago offered new details about the dining, layout, and housing for Campus North, the new dorm slated to open in 2016.

The University released new details about the forthcoming Campus North Residence Hall and Dining Commons, set to open in fall 2016.

Jennifer Luttig-Komrosky, executive director of college housing and residential services, offered new information about the dorm. “Similar to Bartlett and Cathey Dining Commons, everyone will enter the state-of-the-art Campus North Dining Commons from the outside,” she wrote in an e-mail. The dining commons will be attached to the building, however, similar to the way Cathey is a part of Burton-Judson Courts.

Additionally, the new dining hall will feature not only house tables and open space for dining, but also two private rooms with seating for 35 to 45 people, she said.

The landscaping around Campus North will include tiered-style and bench seating, garden spaces, walking paths,”Luttig-Komrosky wrote. “The landscaping around Campus North Residence Hall and Dining Commons is being designed thoughtfully as we envision it playing an important role in community life.”

Eight houses will move into Campus North. 

Campus North fills the space left after the demolition of Pierce Tower, a 50-year old residence hall and dining commons that was demolished in the summer of 2013 due to high maintenance costs. The new dorm, located on East 55th Street north of Henry Crown Field House, will house approximately 800 students.