Sigma Chi’s Derby Days raises over $11,500 for cancer research

Five sororities on campus participated in the Derby Days competition.

Last week Sigma Chi hosted Derby Days, a weeklong fundraising competition designed to support cancer research. Sigma Chi partnered with five sororities and engaged in a series of events, where the winning sorority received 10 percent of the proceeds toward its charity of choice. Within a five-day period, the event raised $11,500.

Kappa Alpha Theta won the competition overall, which was judged by a panel of Sigma Chi brothers. Kappa Alpha Theta secured the highest number of points through a system that considered both the number of events won and funds raised.

Although the event raised $11,500, the funds were distributed between two charities. Sigma Chi donated $10,500 to the Huntsman Cancer Foundation, while Kappa Alpha Theta gave $1,000 to CASA for Children, a foundation dedicated to supporting foster children. Sigma Chi created a donation through derbychallenge.org, where donating was open to the public.

There was significant participation from Greek organizations in Derby Days. Sororities Kappa Alpha Theta, Delta Gamma, Pi Beta Phi, Alpha Omicron Pi, and Alpha Kappa Delta Phi were affiliated with the project and participated in each event.

The events each day were wide-ranging, including cookouts, a banner competition, boat racing in the Ratner Pool, and a dance competition.

One of the events, the dance competition, included a 40-minute improv comedy show by Off-Off Campus and a series of pre-choreographed dance routines created by members of the participating sororities on campus.

Rex Johnson, president of Sigma Chi, said: “We’re very thankful for all who donated and participated. We’re happy to be involved in such a great [cause] and to raise money for cancer and we look forward to raising even more money next year.”

The week kicked off with a barbecue on Monday, April 6, with competition results and donation totals released at the end of the week on Friday, April 10.