On and Around Campus: November 4 — November 11

Family Day at the Smart Museum, a Día de los Muertos celebration, and a lecture on conspiracy theories.

Friday, 11/4

The Ninth International Education Conference: Power in Transition? International Politics and Troubled Elections 

International House, 8:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m.

Recommended for all educators, this conference will focus on training teachers to integrate international politics and the role of elections into a practical curricula. Light breakfast, lunch, and instructional materials will be provided. This event is five hours long. 

“Going forward with our heads forever turned back”: Re-reading Giorgio Bassani 

Harper Memorial Library 104, 9 a.m. –1:30 p.m.

A conference on writer Giorgio Bassani is being hosted by the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures and the Italian Cultural Institute. Various speakers from UChicago and other schools, followed by lunch. 

Inhibiting the Past 

Social Sciences 401, 9 a.m. –6 p.m.

A one-day workshop that will bring together scholars in various departments, including anthropology, history, religious studies, Near Eastern studies, and South Asian studies, to discuss issues relating to historical writing, memory, myth, and oral traditions, and other topics, in 20th-century South Asia. 

Planning for the Future 

Regenstein 207, noon –1:30 p.m.

A workshop focusing on establishing a “sustainable journal” by teaching attendees to write preservation policies and establish governing bodies with funding options.  

Carl J. Vyborny Memorial Lecture for 2016 “Controversies in Breast Cancer Screening” 

Billings Hospital, Room P-117, 950 East 59th Street, 12:30–1:30 p.m.

Dr. Etta D. Pisano, vice chair of research in the Department of Radiology Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Senior Director for Research Development at the American College of Radiology, will discuss various controversies relating to breast cancer screenings. The talk will include discussions about the age at which screening should begin, how often screening should be done, and with what technologies, and over diagnosis, among topics.  

Facing the Financial Challenges of Nonprofit Operations 

5225 South Cottage Grove Avenue, Chicago, IL 60615, 12:30 p.m. –2 p.m. 

A workshop focusing on the financial management of nonprofit organizations. Topics on the agenda include federal and state tax compliance, grant management, daily financial operations, and financial software.  

Lecture: Bubble Talk in Ramallah with Kareem Rabie 

Wilder House, 5811 South Kenwood Avenue, 3:30 –6 p.m.

Kareem Rabie, assistant professor in the social sciences at the University, will talk about the concept of the “bubble” in Ramallah, meaning the apparent contradiction between quality of life there and other occupied areas of the West Bank. He will discuss the conception of this bubble being an economic force versus a force of resistance in the area. 

East Asia: Transregional Histories Workshop 

Center for East Asian Studies, 4 p.m.

A workshop open to all students, faculty, and outside scholars to present papers on East Asia and its many boundaries throughout history 

The Cinema, the Female Star, and the Paradoxes of Mass Culture: Reflections on Max Ophuls’ La Signora di Tutti 

Logan Center, 4:30 p.m.

Film theorist Laura Mulvey will be discussing the implications of La Signora di Tutti, a 1934 film. The movie centers around a suicidal actress who watches her life flash before her eyes, reflecting on the men she foolishly loved. Mulvey will be focused specifically on the themes of consumerism and capitalism, and how these interact with the concept of traditional femininity.  

Speakers’ Podium for Citizens and Non-Citizens 

The Muffler Shop, 359 East Garfield Boulevard, Chicago IL 60637. 6–7 p.m. 

Weekly programs featuring activists, artists, students groups, and individuals that seek to engage audience in conversations on mass incarceration, immigrant detention, and citizenship. 

Discussion of Bankrupts and Usurers of Imperial Russia with Sergei Antonov and Faith Hillis 

Seminary Co-op, 6–7:30 p.m.

By examining hundreds of primary source documents, Sergei Antonov, a professor of history at Queens College and Columbia University, has compiled a comprehensive picture of the average financial situation for Russians in the late 19th century. Systems of credit were unregulated and based largely on trust, leading to countless disputes and court proceedings. Antonov’s book, Bankrupts and Usurers of Imperial Russia, provides a glimpse of the financial, legal, and social interactions of Russians in the 1960s. 

Paquito D'Rivera 

Logan Center, Performance Hall, 7:30–9:30 p.m., $5 for students, purchase tickets here 

Famous clarinetist and saxophonist Paquito D’Rivera will be performing his distinct jazz-classical-Afro-Latin style alongside his quintet. D’Rivera has won 14 Grammy awards and the award for the Best Latin Jazz album of 2015. 

Saturday, 11/5

Family Day: Butterflies in the Sky 

Smart Museum of Art, 1–4 p.m.

There was a whole collection made, the Smart’s ongoing photography exhibition, brings butterfly-themed activities and art-making to this month’s family day. Materials will be provided for butterfly face-painting and ink prints. While activities are recommended for four- to 12-year-olds, nobody’s stopping you from dropping by to make your own fabric butterfly wings. 

Chicago International Children’s Film Festival 

Logan Center, 2–4:30 p.m.

“Phantom Boy”, a critically acclaimed animation about an 11-year-old boy named Leo working with a detective to save New York from destruction, will be screening at the Logan Center. Leo’s mysterious illness allows him to escape his body and wonder the city as a phantom. In the hospital, Leo makes friends with a cop named Alex who informs him of a villain who has wreaked havoc on the city by stealing the power supply. Leo, Alex, and Mary, a journalist, must work together to stop the villain and save New York City. 

Discussion of Site Specific with Ken Vandermark and Lou Mallozzi 

Seminary Co-Op Bookstore, 3 p.m.

Musician Ken Vandermark will discussing his Site Specific, a book in which two CDs and a collection of his photography from his musical performances from throughout the world are combined. Lou Mallozzi, an interdisciplinary artist whose work also focuses on sound and site, will serve as interlocutor.  

The Dead at Home: Reception Rooms in Early Egyptian Cemeteries 

Oriental Institute, 5–6 p.m.

Ann Roth, Ph.D., will be discussing how the tradition of a reception room in Egyptian tombs evolved between the Second and Fourth dynasties. These rooms represented a symbolic link between the deceased’s mortal house and their tomb. 

African American Film Pioneers: The Bronze Buckaroo 

Film Studies Center, Cobb Hall 306, 7–9 p.m. 

The Bronze Buckaroo, a film about a cowboy who rescues his friend and his beautiful sister from an evil land grabbing rancher, is being screened at the Film Studies Center. The film features actor Herb Jeffries, who pioneered the role of the Black singing cowboy. The film will be introduced by associate professor in the Department of Cinema and Media Studies Allyson Nadia Field.  

OWL: Steve Edwards: “How did we get to this point in our political history? 

Treasure Island Lower Level, 55th Street and South Lake Park Avenue, Chicago, 1–3 p.m. 

Hyde Park Older Women’s League meeting will be hosting Steve Edwards, the executive director of Illinois Institute of Politics at the University of Chicago on “How did we get to this point in our political/historical history?” 

2016 South Side Pie Contest! 

Hyde Park Neighborhood Club, 5480 South Kenwood Avenue, 2–5 p.m. 

It’s high time for pie time. To enter, two identical pies must be delivered between 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. To eat, bring some cash and an appetite. $3 a slice. All proceeds will go to the Hyde Park and Kenwood Hunger Programs. 

Sunday, 11/6 

Día de los Muertos 

I-House, 4–6:30 p.m.

MEChA de UChicago is hosting an annual celebration of Día de los Muertos, a traditional Mexican holiday to honor deceased loved ones through a celebration of life. The program will include a lecture by Paulina Lopez, Arte Ambulante Coordinator for the National Museum of Mexican Art, a performance of traditional ballet folklórico dances by Ballet Folklórico Xochitl, a dinner, and a viewing of altars created by UChicago advocacy organizations. 

New Music Ensemble: Varied Voices 

Fulton Hall, 3–4:30 p.m. 

New Music Ensemble concert will feature recent works by two UChicago graduate students in composition—David Clay Mettens’s “He Dreams a Mother” and Jack Hughes’s “Two Poems by Eleanor Ross Taylor.” Both with feature guest soprano Jessica Aszodi, as well as Carlos Sanchez-Gutierrez’s “Mano a Mano”, Robert Morris’s “Doubles and Pairs”, George Lewis’s “String Quartet No. 1.5: Experiments in Living”, and Simon Steen-Anderson’s “Study for String Instrument No. 1.” A reception will follow.  

“The Emancipation of Cecily McMillan” with Cecily McMillan and Maya Schenwar 

Seminary Co-op, 3–4:30 p.m.

Author and activist Cecily McMillan will be discussing her autobiography. From her tumultuous childhood to her eventual arrest at a police raid, McMillian will account her experiences as an inmate, a friend, and a writer. 

Unitarian Church: Sale: “Dances of Universal Peace” 

First Unitarian Church, 2–4 p.m.

First Unitarian Church will host meditative, multicultural circle dances that use sacred chants, music, and movement from different spiritual traditions. 

Monday, 11/7

Library Book Sale 

Regenstein Library, Room A10, 9:30 a.m. –3:30 p.m.

The Regenstein Library is holding a sale of more than 10,000 duplicate and discarded books, including hardbacks, trade and scholarly paperbacks, multi-volume sets, maps, and miscellaneous material. Prices start at $20 for Hardbacks, $10 for paperbacks and CDs, and $5 for miscellaneous materials, and will be reduced on each successive day with all remaining items free on the final day, Monday, November 14.  

Effect of Air Pollution on Health Status in China 

Saieh Hall for Economics, Room 112, noon–1 p.m.

Maigeng Zhou, professor and deputy director of the National Center for Chronic and Non-communicable Disease (NCD) Control and Prevention of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, and Peng Yin, associate professor at the NCD Control and Prevention of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, will discuss the effect of air pollution on health status in China. 

Rules for a Flat World with Gillian K. Hadfield and James Robinson 

The Seminary Co-op, 6–7:30 p.m. 

Gillian K. Hadfield will be joined in conversation with James Robinson to discuss Rules for a Flat World: Why Humans Invented Law & How to Reinvent It for a Complex Global Economy, which discusses the effect of technology and globalization on daily life and economy.  

Study Abroad on a Budget 

Center for College Student Success, 6–7:30 p.m. 

Students and staff will talk about financial resources for study abroad and ways to make it more affordable. Food will be provided. 

Terry Grimm on “Becoming Lyla Dore” and Amy Hassinger on “After the Dam” 

57th Street Books, 6–8 p.m.

Poet Terry Grimm will be reading from his new collection of poetry written in the persona of a young silent film star named Lyla Dore. Then, Amy Hassinger will be reading her latest novel, After the Dam. This work of fiction revolves around a troubled new mother who goes looking for solace in her grandmother’s lake house.   

Tuesday, 11/8 

MOSTRA Film Series: Nise: The Heart of Madness 

Social Science Research, Room 122, 5 p.m., RSVP here 

The Center for Latin American Studies will be showing the Portuguese drama, Nise: The Heart of Madness. This film is about a doctor recently freed from prison. As she resumes her work at the psychiatric hospital, she wrestles with the ethics of using newly developed electroshock therapy. 

Religion and Human Science Workshop: Alireza Doostdar 

Swift Hall, 5–6:30 p.m. 

Alireza Doostdar, assistant professor of Islamic Studies and the Anthropology of Religion, will discuss his work on public screenings of spiritual films in Iran and the recent Satanic accusations in response to the films. 

Wednesday, 11/9 

Zen Meditation 

Rockefeller Chapel, 5–6:30 p.m.

A half hour of Soto Zen meditation with Nyozan Eric Shutt. Instruction will be followed by meditation and optional dharma discussion. 

Robert J. Richards and Michael Ruse: “Debating Darwin” 

Seminary Co-Op, 6–7 p.m.

Robert Richards, Morris Fishbein Distinguished Service Professor of the History of Science and Medicine at the University of Chicago, and Michael Ruse, Lucyle T. Werkmeister Professor in the Department of Philosophy at Florida State University, will be discussing the historical contexts of Darwin’s work. Who was Darwin? What did he believe? How did Darwin’s existence as an individual influence his discoveries? 

Sean Lewis and Benjamin Mackey: “Saints” 

57th Street Books, 6–7 p.m. 

Writer Sean Lewis and illustrator Benjamin Mackey will be discussing their comic book series, “Saints.” The story focuses on a group of misfit teens who discover that they are the reincarnation of Catholic saints.  

Thursday, 11/10 

Timothy Melley: Conspiracy Narrative and the Epistemology of Security Society 

Swift Hall, 4:30–7:30 p.m. 

Timothy Melley, professor of English at Miami University, will be discussing how conspiracy theories have evolved in culture since the Cold War. Melley supposes that conspiracy is closely related to anxiety over secrecy and privacy within the general population.  

Diversifying the Classics: Bringing Hispanic Classical Theater to LA Audiences 

Franke Institute for the Humanities, Regenstein Library, Room S-102, 4:30–6 p.m.

Barbara Fuchs, a UCLA professor, will give a talk about her project Diversifying the Classics. This project has created a community of scholars, translators, and professional companies to adapt and perform Hispanic classical theater in Los Angeles.  

Veterans Art Tour and Workshop 

Smart Museum of Art, 5:30–7:30 p.m.

Artwork from the Smart Museum of Art’s collection made by veterans will be presented the day before Veterans Day. Visitors will also make block printed cards to send to soldiers stationed overseas. 

New Voices in Fiction Reading by Chinelo Okparanta 

Logan Center, Seminar Terrace 801, 6–7:30 p.m. 

Chinelo Okparanta will read from her work. She is the author of Happiness, Like Water (2013) and Under the Udala Trees (2015), each a New York Times Book Review Editors' Choice. Her honors include an O. Henry Prize, two Lambda Awards in Fiction, and finalist selections for the Etisalat Prize, the New York Public Library Young Lions Award, the Caine Prize, and the Rolex Mentor and Protégé Arts Initiative.  

“The Minority Paradox: Blackness in France,” Pap NDiaye in conversation with Professor Michael C. Dawson 

Centers for Gender/Race Studies, Community Room 105, 6:30 p.m.

There will be a lecture by, and conversation with, Pap NDiaye, author and professor at the Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris and historian of the social history of America with a focus on minority groups. The post-lecture discussion will be moderated by Michael Dawson, a professor of political science.  

Liberation Narratives 

Logan Performance Hall, 7:30 p.m., $5 student tickets 

Liberation Narratives is spoken word jazz collaboration between composer/flutist Nicole Mitchell and Chicago treasure, and poet Haki R. Madhubuti. Mitchell's Black Earth Ensemble will include Madhubuti performing poems from his book Liberation Narratives, which covers about 50 years of his creative history.  

Joshua Clover on Riot. Strike. Riot: The Era of Uprisings with William Sewell 

The Seminary Co-op, 6 p.m. 

Award-winning poet Joshua Clover, joined by William Sewell, will discuss Riot. Strike. Riot: The Era of Uprisings. The work explores the history of rioting and social unrest from the seventeenth century onward.  

“Teaching Toward Democracy” with William Ayers, Kevin K. Kumashiro, Erica R. Meiners, Therese Quinn, and David Stovall 

57th St Books, 6–7:30 p.m. 

William Ayers, retired professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago, Kevin K. Kumashiro, dean of the School of Education at the University of San Francisco, Erica R. Meiners, professor at Northeastern Illinois University, Therese Quinn, associate professor and director of the Museum and Exhibition Studies Program at the University of Illinois at Chicago, and David Stovall, professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago, will discuss Teaching Toward Democracy 2e: Educators as Agents of Change. The book deals with the topics of education and school reform.  

Crossing Arizona: A Movie Screening by New Americans UChicago  

UChicago Hillel, 8–10 p.m.

New Americans UChicago, a Civic Engagement Program of the UChicago Institute of Politics determined to impact the lives of aspiring new Americans, will screen Crossing Arizona, a documentary that presents an up-to-the-moment look at the hotly debated issues of illegal immigration and security on the U.S./Mexico border. After the movie, there will be a half-hour discussion about the themes of the film and the important issues it addresses. Snacks and refreshments will be provided.