Division I Georgetown Looms for Chicago

After taking on one DI opponent last weekend, the women’s tennis team takes on another in the form of the Georgetown Hoyas this weekend.

This Friday, the No. 15 Maroons look forward to a match against DI Georgetown University. Coming off of a 6–1 defeat this past weekend against a strong University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee team, the South Siders will look to make adjustments in order to rebound from their first loss of the season. Despite the outcome against the DI squad, the Maroons showed excellent effort in their singles matches.

Second-year Ariana Iranpour won the first set against Labina Petrovska of UW–Milwaukee, but fell in the following two sets by very close margins. First-year Rachel Kim also won her first set but fell in the two following sets, again, with very close scores. Fourth-year Lucy Tang pulled off the only win in her singles match against Dana Shannon, tiring her out in the first two sets, and winning by a commanding score in the third set.

Coming into this next match, Chicago has high hopes to get its season back into winning shape. The team is still very confident going into the Georgetown match and for the rest of the season.

Fourth-year Stephanie Lee commented, “It’s still very early in the season and we played a good team a couple weeks ago, so our team morale is still very high despite our loss.”

With their heads held high, there is no reason why the Maroons should be intimidated by Georgetown. They also know exactly what they lacked in the last match against UW–Milwaukee. According to the squad, they have implemented changes and have continued to practice hard throughout the week.

Lee also pointed out an important fix the team put into practice this week as she said, “We’ve been working hard, especially on improving our doubles game going into the Georgetown match.”

The Maroons have prided themselves on their impressive doubles play, and it will be no surprise if they can tweak the inconsistencies and come out with wins in the doubles matchups this Friday.

As for their opponent, the Georgetown Hoyas visit Chicago this weekend, coming off of a win against Towson University. Led by third-year Victoire Saperstein, the Hoyas defeated Towson with the final score of 5–2. The Hoyas played their most recent last match on Tuesday, February 9 though, which has given them quite some time off from competition. The Hoyas have also only played in two matches thus far in the 2016 spring season due to a cancellation in their first scheduled match against Princeton. After the cancellation, the Hoyas lost in a close match against Navy, 4–3.

In their last match against Towson though, the Hoyas battled hard to fend off the Tigers with relative ease. To start it off, the first doubles team of Saperstein and first-year Risa Nakagawa beat Towson’s first team 7–5. Saperstein was defeated in the first singles spot, while Nakagawa won in second singles. Other players, Swift, Marx, and De Chatellus took the fourth through sixth singles matches.

The Georgetown women had an impressive performance last week, but the Maroons are ready to put another check in the win column. Watch all of the action Friday afternoon at XS Tennis in Hyde Park at 2 p.m.