Editor's note: Dollar sign ratings follow the guideline of $1-25 = $, $26-49 = $$, $50+ = $$$.
53RD STREET & HARPER COURT
(773) 288-1010, 4–9 p.m. Mon, 4–10 p.m. Tue–Thu, 4–11 p.m. Fri–Sat, 10 a.m.–2 p.m. and 4–9 p.m. Sun, $$$
1462 East 53rd Street
Italian, Seafood, Takeout, Vegetarian Options, Brunch
One of Hyde Park’s most upscale restaurants, which recently earned a visit from Rahm Emanuel.
(872) 465-3747, 10 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sun, $–$$
5221 South Harper Court
Hawaiian, Seafood, Fast Food, No Alcohol, Takeout
The newest location of this expanding Chicago-based franchise. (A poke primer: It’s like sushi, in a bowl.)
(773) 947-0735, 7 a.m.–6 p.m. Mon–Fri, 8 a.m.–6 p.m. Sat, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. Sun, $
1558 East 53rd Street
Breakfast, Sandwiches, Vegetarian Options, No Alcohol, Takeout and Delivery
Located under the Metra tracks, Ancien Cycles is a combined bike shop and café, serving all-day breakfast.
(773) 675-1410, Closed Mon, 11 a.m.–9 p.m. Tue–Sun, $$
1301 East 53rd Street
Having opened this year into the void created by Ribs ’n’ Bibs closing, BBQ Supply Co. drew attention with its 24-karat gold signage, whisky selection, and wood-burning smoker.
(773) 684-8688, 10 a.m.–11 p.m. Mon–Sun, $
1601 East 53rd Street
Pizza, Sandwiches, Italian, Vegetarian Options, Takeout and Delivery
Try ordering via “The Chole Hole,” a tiny window which connects Cholie’s to the neighboring Falcon Inn.
(872) 465-3701, 10 a.m.–10 p.m., Mon–Sun, $
1310 East 53rd Street
Greek, Mediterranean, Sandwiches, Barbecue, Takeout
One of Hyde Park’s most recent additions, Antoni 1 serves gyros, souvlaki, and other Greek classics out of Pepe’s Mexican restaurant’s former storefront.
(773) 742-7992, Midnight–11:59 p.m. Mon–Sun, $
1418 East 53rd Street
Dessert, Fast Food, No Alcohol
Barack and Michelle Obama visited this Baskin–Robbins on their first date.
(773) 288-2600, 10:30 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sun, $
1424-28 East 53rd Street
American, Chicken, No alcohol, Takeout and Delivery
Specializes in home-style, comfort food like chicken, mac and cheese, and mashed potatoes.
(773) 493-1000, 8 a.m.–9 p.m. Sun–Mon, 8 a.m.–10 p.m. Fri–Sat, $
1369 East 53rd Street
Sandwiches, Desserts, Coffee, Vegetarian and Vegan Options, No alcohol, Halal, Takeout and Delivery
A popular spot for studying and relaxing, with a wide selection of paninis, snacks, and drinks.
(773) 324-6227, 11:30 a.m.–10 p.m. Sun–Thurs, 11:30 a.m.–11 p.m. Fri, $$
1206 East 53rd Street
Mediterranean, Halal, No Alcohol, Takeout and Delivery
A staple for Mediterranean and Middle Eastern food on Kimbark Plaza.
(773) 324-1999, Noon–10 p.m. Sun–Mon, 11:30 a.m.–Midnight Tue–Thu, 11:30 a.m.–1 a.m. Fri–Sat, $$$
1509 East 53rd Street
Thai, American, Fusion, Vegetarian Options, Takeout and Delivery
Chant serves a fusion of traditional and contemporary Asian and American cuisine, with regular live music.
(773) 347-0008, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sun, $
Harper Court Shops, 1522 East 53rd Street
Mexican, Burritos, Vegetarian Options, Takeout
The grand dame of fast-casual, with a near-monopoly on catered RSO events.
(773) 288-5719, open 24 hours Mon–Sun, $
1411 East 53rd Street,
Donuts, Coffee, Breakfast
Come for the coffee, leave with a dozen (or two).
(773) 947-0485, 6 a.m.–4 p.m. Mon–Sun, $
5225 South Harper Court
Breakfast, Coffee, Fast Food, No Alcohol, Takeout
Einstein Bros. no longer has a location in the Reynolds Club, but the chain still has a presence in Hyde Park, in Harper Court.
(773) 891-2554, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Mon–Sun, $$
1373 East 53rd St
Japanese, Fusion, Vegetarian Options, No Alcohol, Takeout and Delivery
With a name referring to a type of chopping knife, it’s no surprise that Eto’o’s menu prominently features steaks and other hearty chunks of meat in addition to noodles, soups, and lighter fare.
(773) 658-9842, 7 a.m.–7 p.m. Mon–Fri, 8 a.m.–5 p.m. Sat–Sun, $–$$
1658 East 53rd Street
Breakfast, Dessert, Sandwiches, Pastries, No Alcohol, Vegetarian Options
Formerly located in University Church, Fabiana’s also makes pastries, Brazilian sweets, and cakes for all occasions.
(773) 363-6090, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sun, $
1456 East 53rd Street
Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, No alcohol, Takeout and Delivery
Regional rivalries aside, Five Guys is a popular spot for burgers in the $8–10 range.
(773) 947-0200, 11 a.m.–11 p.m. Mon–Sat, Noon–11 p.m. Sun, $$
5311 South Blackstone Avenue
Pizza, Italian, BYOB, Vegetarian Options, Takeout and Delivery
One of Chicago’s quintessential pizza chains. Bring out-of-towners who want to experience Chicago’s deep-dish phenomenon firsthand.
Harold’s Chicken Shack
(773) 752-9260, 11 a.m.–11 p.m. Mon–Thu, 11 a.m.–Midnight Fri–Sat, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Sun, $
Kimbark Plaza, 1208 East 53rd Street
American, No Alcohol, Takeout and Delivery
Light of our lives, fire of our digestive tracts. There are only two kinds of people in this world: those who take their sauce on top and those who take it on the side. BYON (bring your own napkins).
(773) 891-1118, 11 a.m.– 9 p.m. Mon–Sun, $
5300 South Dorchester Avenue
Mexican, Burritos, Fast Food, Takeout and Delivery
The departure of Ribs ’n’ Bibs in 2014 left big shoes to fill, but the Taco Station is a worthy addition to Hyde Park, with an array of different taco fillings on hand (including vegetarian and vegan options).
(773) 752-5375, 11 a.m.–2 a.m., $$
1510 East Harper Court
Jamaican, Caribbean, Vegetarian Options, Takeout
Also has a bar with Tuesday complimentary wine tastings and a DJ venue, featuring a variety of genres.
(773) 643-8008, 11 a.m.–11 p.m. Mon–Thu, 11 a.m.–1 a.m. Fri–Sat, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Sun,
5215 South Harper Avenue, $$
Sandwiches, Pizza, Vegetarian Options
This new addition to Harper Court features dozens of beers on tap and a sophisticated take on bar food. Make friends at the long picnic-style tables.
(773) 675-6731, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Sun–Thurs, 11 a.m.–11 p.m. Fri–Sat, $
5226 South Harper Street
Ice Cream, Dessert, No alcohol, Takeout
This sweets store just opened its second Chicago location downtown on South Michigan Avenue.
(773) 363-2600, 11 a.m.–11 p.m. Mon–Thurs, 11 a.m.–Midnight Fri, 10 a.m.–Midnight Sat, 10 a.m.–10 p.m. Sun, $$
Italian, Pizza, Sandwiches, Vegetarian options, Takeout and Delivery
The Leona’s chain has been around since the 1950s, with a full bar and kid friendly options.
(773) 633-2587, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Thurs, 11 a.m.–8 p.m. Fri, 8:30 a.m.–Midnight, $
1373 East 53rd Street
American, Mexican, Pizza, Breakfast, Vegetarian and Vegan Options, Takeout and Delivery
Founded by the enthusiastic “Mr. Litehouse Grill” Eric Nance, this new restaurant serves an incredible variety of food and hosts events including paint parties and slam poetry.
(773) 288-2161, 6 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sun, $
5200 South Lake Park Avenue
American, Fast Food, No Alcohol, Takeout
Amazingly, the only McDonald’s in Hyde Park.
(773) 667-2000, 7 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sun, $$
1508 East 53rd Street
American, Sandwiches, Vegetarian Options, Takeout and Delivery
Mellow Yellow got its name when owner Ken Pelletier’s daughters wrote to Donovan, author and singer of the song “Mellow Yellow,” asking to be allowed to use the name, and were told they could free of charge.
(773) 288-5353, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sat, Noon–7 p.m. Sun, $
1372 East 53rd Street
Hot Dogs, American, Jamaican, Seafood
Nathan’s focuses on takeout, with a broad menu of American classics rounded out with Jamaican options like jerk chicken and Ting soda.
(773) 241-7800, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sun, $$
Harper Court Shops, 1518 East Harper Court
Sandwiches, Vegetarian and Vegan, Takeout and Delivery
Serves health-oriented, exclusively vegan food including sandwiches, nachos, and desserts.
(773) 324-5340, 10:30 a.m.–11:30 p.m. Mon–Sun, $
5231 South Woodlawn Avenue
Chinese, No alcohol, Vegetarian options, Takeout and Delivery
Founded in 1981, Nicky’s focuses on takeout and delivery.
(773) 752-7272, 10 a.m.–Midnight Sun–Thu, 10 a.m.–1 a.m. Fri–Sat, $
1418 East 53rd Street
Pizza, Vegetarian Options, Takeout and Delivery
Although it doesn’t serve deep dish, Papa John’s is a comforting pizza standard for many from Chicago and elsewhere.
(773) 324-7777, 10 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sun, $$$
1501 East 53rd Street
Pizza, Italian, Vegetarian Options, Takeout and Delivery
This sit-down Italian mainstay makes a deep-dish pie to rival Giordano’s.
(773) 667-1313, 11 a.m.–9 p.m. Mon–Sun, $
1307 East 53rd Street
Sandwiches, Fast food, Vegetarian and Vegan options, No alcohol, Takeout and delivery
Pockets has several other Chicago locations, and can host in-store fundraising events for local groups.
(773) 493-9333, 10:30 a.m.–Midnight Sun–Thu, 10 a.m.–2 a.m. Fri–Sat, $$–$$$
1516 East Harper Court
BBQ, Bar Food, American, Breakfast, Vegetarian Options
A combination restaurant and bar, Porkchop hosts regular live music.
(773) 955-1145, 11 a.m.–9 p.m. Mon–Sat, Noon–7:30 p.m. Sun, $
1459 East 53rd Street
Indian, American, Cajun, Halal, No alcohol, Takeout and Delivery
One of the major suppliers of UChicago’s campus cafes, Rajun Cajun serves home-style Indian and American assortments.
(773) 906-5582, 11 a.m.–9 p.m. Mon–Sun, $
1526 East 53rd Street
Mediterranean, Sandwich, Vegetarian Options, No Alcohol, Fast Food, Takeout and Delivery
A Mediterranean twist on the make-your-own Chipotle model.
(773) 952-4532, 6 a.m.–8 p.m. Mon–Fri, 7 a.m.–7 p.m. Sat–Sun, $
5301 South Hyde Park Blvd
Breakfast, Coffee, Vegetarian Options
A hip cafe with a lakeside location and comfortable seating. Try the shakes or smoothies.
(773) 966-6669, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sun, $$
1375 East 53rd Street
Sushi, BYOB, Vegetarian and Vegan, Takeout and Delivery
What’s first-year without the requisite all-you-can eat sojourn to Shinju?
(773) 324-1241, 5 a.m.–9 p.m. Sun–Thu, 5 a.m.–10 p.m. Fri–Sat, $
1530 East 53rd Street
Coffee, Breakfast, Sandwiches, Boxed food
This Starbucks location is in Harper Court. There is also a separate Starbucks location inside the Target on 1346 East 53rd Street.
(773) 288-8400, 6:30 a.m.–Midnight Mon–Sat, 7:00 a.m. to Midnight Sun, $
1400 East 53rd Street
Sandwiches, Fast food, No alcohol, Takeout and Delivery
Footlongs aren’t really five dollars anymore, but don’t let that stop you from indulging in the dizzying power trip of no-holds-barred sandwich customization.
(773) 546-9961, closed Mon, 11 a.m.–7 p.m. Tue–Fri, Noon–7 p.m. Sat, Noon–6 p.m. Sun
1368.5 East 53rd Street
This pick-and-mix artisanal candy shop founded by a Kenwood Academy grad is the latest addition to 53rd Street.
(312) 801-2100, 11 a.m.–3 p.m. and 5–11 p.m. Mon–Thu, 11 a.m.–3 p.m. and 5 p.m.–1 a.m. Fri, 9 a.m.–3 p.m. and 5 p.m.–1 a.m. Sat, 9 a.m.–3 p.m. and 5 p.m.– 11 p.m. Sun, $$$
5311 South Lake Park Avenue
American, Brunch, Vegetarian Options
Specializes in fine dining and weekend brunch, with a bar and upstairs music venue.
(773) 324-3700, 11 a.m.–9:30 p.m. Sun–Thurs, 11 a.m.–10:30 p.m. Fri–Sat, $$
1312 East 53rd Street
Sandwiches, Sushi, Pizza, Italian, Vegetarian options
The Sit Down offers a wide variety of food and beverages, including smoothies, in a well-lit dining room.
(773) 667-6000, 10:30 a.m.–10 p.m. Sun–Thu, 10:30 a.m.–Midnight Fri–Sat, $
1368 East 53rd Street
American, Sandwiches, Fast Food, Vegetarian Options, No Alcohol, Takeout and Delivery
Wingers is a relative newcomer to Hyde Park, and serves a variety of gyros, burgers, hot dogs, and, unsurprisingly, wings.
(773) 667-0647, 5:30 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sun, $
1518 East 53rd Street
Sandwich, BBQ, Breakfast, American, No Alcohol, Cash Only
Advertised as one of Barack Obama’s favorite restaurants, Valois serves all-day breakfast and traditional cafeteria fare.
(773) 288-1795, 11:30 a.m.–9 p.m. Mon–Fri, Noon–9 p.m. Sat, Closed Sun, $$
1603 East 55th St
Korean, Vegetarian Options, BYOB, Takeout
This small family-run restaurant is a cozy option on a cold day, especially with a bowl of tofu stew on hand.
(773) 256-0702, 7:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m. Mon–Fri, $
1100 East 55th Street
Breakfast, Salads, Sandwiches
Located in the Lutheran School of Theology, the cafe offers foods with global styles, including bibimbaps, “falafel flatties,” and jamaican jerk veggie burgers.
(773) 241-5190, 9 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sun, $
1519 East 55th Street
Sandwiches, American, Fast Food, No Alcohol, Takeout and Delivery
Founder Jimmy John Liautaud grew up in the Chicago suburbs and developed his original menu based on Chicago street food before opening his first store in Charleston, IL.
(773) 667-3727, 5–9 p.m. Sun–Mon, Noon–9:30 p.m. Tue–Sat, $$$
1601 East 55th Street
Sushi, Japanese, Vegetarian Options, BYOB, Takeout and Delivery
A family business, Kikuya serves home-cooked entrees and mochi as well as sushi
(773) 493-1394, Closed Mon, 11:30 a.m.–2 p.m. and 5–11 p.m. Tue–Fri, 5–11 p.m. Sat–Sun, $$$
1504 East 55th Street
French, Vegetarian Options
A hidden treasure that has even been recognized by the Michelin Guide, La Petite Folie offers high-class French dining and an impressive selection of French wines.
(773) 643-3155, 10 a.m.–11 p.m. Mon–Wed, 10–2 a.m. Thu–Sat, 11 a.m.–Midnight Sun, $$
5506 South Lake Park Avenue
Mexican, Breakfast, Vegetarian Options, Takeout and Delivery
Maravilla’s features Mexican cuisine classics and an ample margarita selection.
(773) 363-3800, 8 a.m.–8 p.m. Mon–Sat, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. Sun, $
5500 South Cornell Avenue
Breakfast, Sandwiches, American, Desserts, Vegetarian Options, No Alcohol, Takeout and Delivery
Founded in 1960 by the father of financial advisor and TV host Suze Orman, Morry’s serves meals but also still operates as a deli.
(773) 643-0603, 10:30 a.m.–10:00 p.m. Sun–Thu, 10:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Fri–Sat, $$
1125 East 55th Street
Italian, Pizza, Pasta, Sandwiches
Led by Nella Grassano, a classically-trained pizzaiola, the traditional Neapolitan restaurant uses ingredients imported from Napoli and makes its dough by hand every day.
(773) 363-1515, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sun, $$
1611 East 55th Street
Vietnamese, Vegetarian Options, BYOB, Takeout and Delivery
Besides pho, Pho 55 offers plenty of Vietnamese classics in an elegant setting.
(773) 347-2695, 11:30 a.m.–Midnight Mon–Wed, 11:30 a.m.–1 a.m. Thu–Fri, 11:30 a.m.–2 a.m. Sat–Sun, $$$
1055 East 55th Street
American, Sandwich, Pizza, Burgers, Bar Food
More than a restaurant and a bar, Seven Ten Lanes is also known for bowling and billiards.
(773) 324-9296, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sun, $$
1639 East 55th St
Thai, Vegetarian Options, BYOB, Takeout and Delivery
The massaman curry is highly recommended.
(773) 256-1930, 5 a.m.–9 p.m. Sun–Thu, 5 a.m.–10 p.m. Fri–Sat, $
1174 East 55th Street
Coffee, Breakfast, Sandwiches, Boxed Food
The 55th Street Starbucks is a brick building on the corner of Woodlawn Avenue.
(773) 363-7119, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sun, $$
1607 East 55th Street
Thai, Vietnamese, Vegetarian Options, BYOB, Takeout and Delivery
Focusing on curry, chicken, and seafood, Thai 55 can host large events in its party room, and occasionally features live music.
(773) 324-9499, 11:00 a.m.–9:45 p.m. Mon–Sat, Noon–8:45 p.m., $$$
1162 East 55th Street
Middle Eastern, Vegetarian Options, BYOB, Takeout and Delivery
The Nile serves hearty portions, and has a back porch outdoor seating area for warmer times of the year.
(773) 667-5423, Closed Mon, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Tue–Sun, $$
1649 East 55th Street
Thai, Vegetarian Options, BYOB, Takeout and Delivery
A common sight in UChicago’s cafes, Snail Thai’s offerings have been a staple of Hyde Park cuisine since 1993.
(773) 256-1000, 8 a.m.–8 p.m. Mon–Sat, Closed Sun
1450 East 57th Street
Sandwiches, Vegetarian and Vegan, No Alcohol
B’Gabs serves creative uses of vegan ingredients made into sandwiches, burgers, burritos, and more, along with a wide selection of fresh juices and smoothies.
(773) 420-3631, 11 a.m.–9 p.m. Sun–Thu, 11 a.m.–10:30 p.m. Fri–Sat, $-$$
1321 East 57th Street
Mexican, Fast Food, Takeout and Delivery
This establishment might be known for their cemitas, but their tacos are nothing to shake a stick at, either. Try their horchata latte for a caffeine boost to last you the rest of the day.
(773) 667-7394, 7 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Fri, 9 a.m.–11 p.m. Sat–Sun, $$
1327 East 57th Street
Pizza, Sandwiches, American, Pastries, BYOB
Popular with UChicago students, Medici has a smaller takeout-oriented deli and bakery next door to the restaurant.
(773) 684-2801, 10 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Fri, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Sat, 11:30 a.m.–9:30 p.m. Sun, $
1333 East 57th Street
Thai, Fusion, BYOB, Vegetarian and Vegan Options, Takeout and Delivery
Noodles, Etc. also has an offshoot in Hutch, with a slimmed-down menu.
(773) 752-3899, 7 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sun, $$
1440 East 57th Street
Breakfast, Sandwiches, American, Mediterranean, BYOB, Takeout and Delivery
Salonica serves all-day breakfast alongside Greek and American classics.
(773) 952-4956, 8 a.m.–6 p.m. Mon–Fri, 8 a.m.–2 p.m. Sat, closed Sun
5655 South University Ave, $
Pastries, Mediterranean, Coffee, No Alcohol, Vegetarian Options
Inside Fabiana’s former site at University Church, Sanctuary Café features live and displayed art, with a social-justice orientation.
(773) 241-7827, 7 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Fri, 8 a.m.–9 p.m. Sat, 9 a.m.–7 p.m. Sun, $
1449 East 57th Street
Sandwiches, Fast Food, No Alcohol, Takeout and Delivery
The 57th Street Subway closes earlier than the East 53rd Street location, which may indicate some kind of Subway-location hierarchical power structure.
(773) 538-7372, 7 a.m.–7 p.m. Mon–Fri, 8 a.m.–8 p.m. Sat–Sun, $$
1323 East 57th Street
Sandwiches, Vegetarian Options, Takeout
A hipster haven and popular alternative to the Med.
(773) 702-2787, 8 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Sat, 11 a.m.–9 p.m. Sun, $
Logan Center for the Arts
Sandwiches, Vegetarian Options, Beer and Wine
The Logan Center’s café serves quick staples in a comfortable environment right outside of Logan’s main theater.
Cobb Coffee Shop
(773) 702-9236, 7:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. Mon–Fri, $
Basement, Cobb Hall
Breakfast, Boxed Food, Coffee
Cobb offers a distinctive atmosphere, with ’80s films regularly playing on the behind-the-counter TV
8:30 a.m.–11:30 p.m. Mon–Thu, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. Fri, 11 a.m.–5 p.m. Sat, 11 a.m.–11:30 p.m. Sun, $
Joseph Regenstein Library
Sandwiches, Coffee, Boxed Food, Vegetarian Options
eX Lib serves the Regenstein Library from its location at the back of the first floor, with long benches for studying and group meetings.
(773) 702-8787, 8:30 a.m.–11:30 p.m. Mon–Thu, 8:30 a.m.–9 p.m. Fri, 11:30 a.m.–9 p.m. Sat, 11:30 a.m.–11:30 p.m. Sun, $
Third Floor, Reynolds Club
Breakfast, Pastries, Coffee, Boxed food, Vegetarian Options
Hallowed Grounds is located on the second floor of the Reynolds Club, with pool tables and ample seating.
(773) 834-9052, 7:45 a.m.–4 p.m. Mon–Fri, Closed Weekends, $
Basement, Swift Hall
Breakfast, Pastries, Coffee, Boxed Food, Vegetarian Options, Cash Only
Grounds of Being is run by students at the Divinity School, and offers packaged meals from restaurants around Hyde Park as well as pizza, bagels, and coffee.
(619) 433-5373, 9 a.m.–Midnight Mon–Thu, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. Fri, Closed Sat, Noon–Midnight Sun, $
Third Memorial, Harper Memorial Library
Breakfast, Pastries, Coffee, Boxed Food, Vegetarian Options
Harper Café is conveniently located right outside of Harper Reading Room, and has plenty of comfortable seating for those who prefer a slightly less quiet atmosphere.
773-966-7531, 7 a.m.–8 p.m. Mon–Fri, 8 a.m.–6 p.m. Sat–Sun, $$
5751 South Woodlawn Avenue
Sandwich, Coffee, Dessert, Vegetarian Options
Inside the Seminary Co-Op building, Plein Air offers light food and drip coffee, as well as outdoor seating next to Frank Lloyd Wright’s Robie House.
7 a.m.–11 p.m. Mon–Fri, 9 a.m.–11 p.m. Sat–Sun, $$
Breakfast, Sandwiches, Boxed Food, Coffee, Pastries, Vegetarian options
Einstein’s departure was mourned by many. Nonetheless, Pret seems to prove popular for those passing through Reynolds Club regularly and with plenty of pocket change to spare.
(773) 702-0200, 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Mon–Wed and Fri–Sun, 10 a.m.–8 p.m. Thu, $
SMART Museum of Art
Sandwiches, Breakfast, Coffee, Boxed Food, Vegetarian Options
Miriam’s Cafe serves patrons of the SMART Museum and features a view of and access to the SMART Museum garden right outside.
(773) 702-9737, 4 p.m.–1 a.m. Mon and Thu–Fri, 4 p.m.–Midnight Tue–Wed, Sat, Closed Sun
Ida Noyes Hall
American, Vegetarian Options
The Pub requires a membership for $10 a year and is only open to students, faculty, staff, and their guests. It boasts 32 beers on tap and over a hundred more by the bottle.
8 a.m.–4 p.m. Mon and Wed, 8 a.m.–7 p.m. Tue and Thu, 8 a.m.–3 p.m. Fri, Closed Sat–Sun
School of Social Service Administration (SSA)
Try-Me’s opened this October in the SSA, and is run by Lawrence Hall, a nonprofit organization that runs programs including job training at the Café for at-risk youth.
(773) 363-5300, 11 a.m.–2 a.m. Mon–Fri, 10 a.m.–3 a.m. Sat, 10 a.m.–2 a.m. Sun, $$$
5500 South Shore Drive
Brunch, Bar Food, American, Vegetarian Options, Takeout
In addition to serving weekend-only brunch until 3 p.m., Bar Louie is Hyde Park’s restaurant and bar that stays open the latest.
(773) 675-8525, 11 a.m.– Midnight Sun–Thu, 11 a.m.–6:15 p.m. Fri, 6:15 p.m.–2 a.m. Sat, $$
5319 South Hyde Park Blvd
Fast food, American, Shakes
This local diner-style joint caters to insomniacs and burger aficionados alike.
(773) 643-1106, 11:30 a.m.–9 p.m. Mon, 7–11 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.–10 p.m. Tue–Sun, $$
1642 East 56th Street
Italian, Dessert, Pastries, Vegetarian Options, Takeout
Piccolo Mondo also has a tapas selection to go with its fine Italian cuisine.
(773) 493-0129, 11 a.m.–9 p.m. Sun–Thu, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Fri–Sat, $
5428 South Lake Park Avenue
Sandwiches, Vegetarian Options, Fast Food, No Alcohol, Takeout and Delivery
Potbelly got its start with a couple selling sandwiches out of their antique shop in Lincoln Park, which later grew into a dedicated restaurant.
Bridgeport Coffee Company
(773) 947-0348, 6 a.m.–8 p.m. Mon–Fri, 7 a.m.–8 p.m. Sat, 8 a.m.–8 p.m. Sun
5030 South Cornell Avenue
Breakfast, Coffee, Vegetarian Options, No Alcohol
Bridgeport Coffee stays true to its South Side roots, roasting all its coffees in the area.
(773) 643-6670, 6 a.m.–7 p.m. Mon–Sun, $$
809 East 63rd Street
American, Breakfast, Vegetarian Options, Takeout
Daley’s Restaurant was founded in 1892 to cater to an influx of construction workers involved in projects like the World’s Columbian Exposition and the University of Chicago, and has operated since then, save a brief hiatus from 1932–1937.
(773) 268-6868, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Thu, 11 a.m.–11 p.m. Fri–Sat, Closed Sun, $-$$
918 East 47th Street
Chinese, Vegetarian, No Alcohol, Takeout and Delivery
De Rice is a major contributor to UChicago coffee shops’ meals-to-go, but the actual restaurant has options you can’t find around campus.
(773) 855-8120, 9 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Wed, 8 a.m.–11 p.m. Thu–Sun, $$
1126 East 47th Street
Senegalese, No Alcohol, Takeout and Delivery
Senegalese cuisine with a family-run feel. Some spice tolerance required.
(773) 891-4240, 6 a.m.–8 p.m. Mon–Fri, 7 a.m.–7 p.m. Sat–Sun, $
6300 South Woodlawn Ave
Breakfast, Sandwiches, Dessert, Coffee, Vegetarian Options, No Alcohol, Takeout
Rated "One of Chicago's 15 Best Coffee Shops,” Robust also serves various creative desserts and non-coffee drinks.
(773) 241-5550, 11 a.m.–10 p.m. Mon–Thu, 11 a.m.–11:30 p.m. Fri–Sat, 12:30 p.m.–10 p.m. Sun, $-$$
1461 East Hyde Park Blvd
Caribbean, Vegetarian Options, Takeout and Delivery
Lauded as the best jerk chicken in Hyde Park and Kenwood.
Correction on Nov. 29, 2017, 8:27 p.m. CST:
The pub has 32 tap handles, not 24.