Sixth Place Finish for Wrestling

The UChicago Wrestling team finished sixth at the annual Concordia University Open with six individual podium finishes.

This past weekend, the Maroon wrestling team placed sixth at the annual Concordia University Open. The team performance was highlighted by six individual podium finishes. Individually, third-year Steve Bonsall finished second in the 157-pound bracket and first-year Cole Riemer was runner-up in the 149-pound bracket with two major decisions and a pin. Both went 3–1 on the day.  

Fourth-year Nick Ferraro and third-year Kyle Peisker both went 5–1, earning the most wins of anyone on the team. Ferraro earned three pins. Peisker finished third in the 174-pound division and Ferraro won the consolation bracket at 184 pounds. Third-year Kahlan Lee-Lermer finished fifth in his division as did first-year Ben Sarasin. Second-year Will Hare finished sixth in the heavyweight bracket.  

Bonsall is very positive about the team’s progress and outlook heading into the rest of the season. “I think our team wrestled a phenomenal tournament, highlighting our potential and progress as a program,” he said. The team learned a lot from the tournament, as they always do. “We’re always learning from every competition we compete in but Concordia this last weekend has showcased how successful we can be! I would say from what I saw last weekend was our commitment to improving after every match and our wolves’ attitude.” This “wolves’ attitude” is a new development for the wrestling team, and Bonsall is expecting big things for the team this year because of it. Bonsall concluded, “We’re on the hunt!” 

Overall, the tournament was a success for the team with six team members placing and several solid consolation bracket performances as well.  The team will next be competing in the Milwaukee School of Engineering tournament, December 1.