Professor Named Cottrell Scholar

An assistant professor at the University’s Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics was recently named a Cottrell Scholar for 2018. The award gives Cottrell Scholars $100000 to complete a three-year project.
Abigail G. Vieregg is an assistant professor at the Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics.
Courtesy of the Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics

Abigail G. Vieregg, assistant professor at the University’s Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics, was recently named a Cottrell Scholar for 2018 among a total of 24 chemists, physicists, and astronomers selected by the Research Corporation for Science Advancement (RCSA).                      

The Cottrell Scholars program aims to support early career teacher-scholars. Each Cottrell Scholar receives a $100,000 award. A yearly conference allows award recipients a chance to meet their peers. This July, approximately 100 American educators are expected to attend the conference in Tucson, AZ.

RCSA is a private foundation that aims to support physical sciences research and education in America. RCSA funds innovative research of college and university faculty members. The foundation was originally established by UC Berkeley professor Frederick Gardner Cottrell in 1912, who invented the electrostatic precipitator to counter air pollution produced by the industrial revolution.

Vieregg’s research focuses on the study of the early universe to particle physics and astrophysics. She runs the Vieregg Lab at the South Pole, which conducts experiments to detect ultra-high energy neutrinos and measure cosmic microwave background polarization.