UChicago Baseball Marches Forward

The UChicago baseball squad finished off the weekend on a very high note as they crushed their opponents, Finlandia and Edgewood, to extend their win streak to seven games.

The University of Chicago baseball team has reached the halfway mark of its season. With so many rain delays and game cancellations due to the weather, the team is ready to finally compete this weekend. The Maroons have an eventful weekend ahead of them, with two double-headers—one at home on Saturday, April 21, against Benedictine University, and one on Sunday, April 22, at Elmhurst College.  

The squad holds an impressive seven game win-streak and is looking to continue the streak this weekend to improve its overall record of 16–7. Staying energized and focused is a priority for the team as it heads into the weekend. 

“I would say the focus for this weekend is to keep doing the little things right,” first-year infielder Brian Lyle said. “That includes throwing strikes, making plays in the field, and continue getting our jobs done at the plate to produce runs.” 

Fourth-year catcher Matt Slodzinski commented on the importance of this weekend’s games, “We have four games, and we need to win them all. We are remaining focused and playing one game at a time.” 

Second-year pitcher Jacob Petersen also commented on the team’s preparation for this weekend. “This week we have been working hard to prepare, despite some snow and rough weather. Everyone is pretty locked in and works with a purpose every time they come to practice. We have four games this weekend against a couple of pretty good teams. It’s really important that we continue to play well and keep rolling along,” he said.  

Saturday’s games will likely be nail-biters, as the teams seem to be equally matched. The Maroons have won 70 percent of their games, while the Eagles of Benedictine University have won 73 percent. On Sunday, however, the Maroons will likely challenge Elmhurst College. The Blue Jays of Elmhurst College have an overall record of 15–12. Although not overlooking their opponents, the Maroons are definitely favored to win the game.  

As the season continues, the Maroons haven’t forgotten their goals. 

“Our team goals are the same as they were when we met in January: to capture 27 wins to break the school record and to beat Case Western Reserve University come May. We are definitely well positioned to do that,” said Slodzinski.  

Petersen echoed his teammate’s sentiments, “I think that if we keep the mindset on our team goals, the individual things will take care of themselves. It’s a special group of guys and coaches, and we have a fun and exciting month of baseball ahead of us.” 

“As we approach the end of our season we are looking forward to some nicer weather and finishing strong for our seniors,” added Lyle.  

The Maroons play next at home when they take on Benedictine University on Saturday, first at 12 p.m., and then at 3:30 p.m.