Arting Around, Week Two Edition

This week, raid the lost ark, draw at the Art Institute, and frolic in Martin’s fields.
UChicago Presents
Third Coast Percussion will be playing at the Logan Center on Saturday night.

Tuesday, October 8

Workshop: Pop, Politics, Poetry (Part 1)

Smart Museum of Art, 6–8 p.m., Free

Part one of this two-part series will include a gallery tour of the Smart’s new exhibit, Samson Young: Silver Moon or Golden Star, Which Will You Buy of Me? Then, get your hands dirty with an art project and discussion centered around utopias in the artistic imagination.

Thursday, October 10

UChicago Night at the Art Institute

Art Institute of Chicago, 5–8 p.m., Free for University staff, faculty and students with UCID

Although the Art Institute is always free to UCID holders, this UChicago Arts Pass event will provide an exciting after-hours peek into the galleries, accompanied by live music from Grammy-winning musical ensemble Eighth Blackbird, and free sketchbooks. Even the transportation there is provided, with shuttles leaving from Reynolds!

Gallery Talk with Maite Borjabad

Logan Center Exhibitions, 6 p.m., Free

Maite Borjabad, Neville Bryan Assistant Curator of Architecture and Design at the Art Institute of Chicago, will give a gallery talk centered on U.K. architecture collective Assemble’s expansive approach to architecture and design.

Friday, October 11

Academy of St. Martin in the Fields

7:30 p.m. Mandel Hall, $38 general admission, $10 student tickets

UChicago Presents’s (UCP) season opener is a chamber group made up of members from the world-renowned, London-based chamber orchestra. The group will perform Mendelssohn’s beloved Octet, along with a sextet by Erich Korngold and a contemporary octet by Sally Beamish.

Native and Non-Native Indigenous Languages in Chicago

Friday–Saturday, Ida Noyes Third Floor Theater

Opening with a Potawatomi land acknowledgement on Friday morning, this two-day event will celebrate 2019 as the “International Year of Indigenous Languages.” With lectures, film screenings, dance, music, and food, this event is a fantastic introduction to the vast array of languages, and the peoples that speak them, surrounding you in Chicago.

Oriental Institute Indiana Jones Film Festival

7:00 p.m. through Saturday, Free for students and Oriental Institute members 

Honor UChicago’s “most famous fictional student” with free screenings of Indiana Jones movies throughout the weekend. If you’re looking for a more substantive addition to the films, there will be accompanying lectures and even a costume contest. Screenings will be held in various locations.

Saturday, October 12

Third Coast Percussion

7:30 p.m., Logan Center, $15 general admission, free for students

UC Presents has not one, but two showstoppers this weekend. Opening their contemporary series is this Grammy Award–winning ensemble, performing not one but two world premieres!

Benjamin J. Young and Werner Lange

3 p.m., Film Studies Center, Free

Join the Renaissance Society for a discussion between LaToya Ruby Frazier, Benjamin Young, and Werner Lange about Frazier’s use of photography as a platform for social justice and visibility for working-class families in her exhibition at the Ren.