Willie Cochran to Plead Guilty and Resign; Eric Swalwell Teases Possible Presidential Run | Newsletter for March 7

20th Ward Alderman Willie Cochran will plead guilty after all, and plans to resign on March 17.

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s ninth week.

• After briefly considering a plea deal last summer that might have let him off with no prison time, Cochran backed away from that deal in November.
  • The 15-count indictment alleges that Cochran accepted bribery, wire fraud, and extortion. If convicted, Cochran could face up to twenty years in prison.
  • Meanwhile, candidates Jeanette Taylor and Nicole Johnson will face off in an April runoff election to determine who will fill Cochran’s vacant seat.

University President Robert Zimmer came out forcefully against President Donald Trump’s proposed free speech order in an all-school e-mail.

• Following Trump’s Saturday announcement that he’ll sign an executive order requiring universities to support free speech to receive federal research funding, Zimmer condemned the proposal, saying it would be a “grave error” for the government to intervene.

The new Media Arts, Data, and Design (MADD) Center in Crerar is now open.

• The center includes a game lab with resources to develop analog, digital, virtual, and online games.

The Institute of Politics (IOP) has announced next quarter’s fellows. The seven fellows are MSNBC political analyst Karine Jean-Pierre, former U.S. Rep. and South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford, former Secretary of Education John King, former National Security Council staffer Sue Mi Terry, The Cook Political Report editor David Wasserman, and “Iowa Press” host David Yepsen.

Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA) visited the IOP on Tuesday and discussed a potential run for president in 2020.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

In Viewpoints

Editor Cole Martin writes in:

Columnist Sam Joyce reflects on last week’s Chicago election and finds that reform-minded candidates with unapologetically left-wing platforms found unprecedented success.

Columnist Brinda Rao urges UChicago students to try auditing a class as a way to learn without the constant pressure of getting good grades.

In Arts

Editor Brooke Nagler writes in:

Author Julietta Singh discussed her book, No Archive Will Restore You, at the Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality.

• “Shit can be something that we recalibrate and reconstitute altogether in a way that doesn’t merely disavow it,” Singh writes.

KSO’s “Seoul Searching” explored Korean culture through multimedia performances ranging from the instrumental and vocal to the comedic.

Gaspar Noé loves to shock and disgust with his art, but he has gone too far with new film Climax.

Empress Of captivated Sleeping Village with an energetic, powerful set, broad in sound and appeal.

In Sports

Editor Audrey Mason writes in:

Baseball begins its season with a win against Transylvania.

Women’s basketball ends its season with a loss to Oglethorpe.

Diving qualifies all four women for the NCAA Championships.

Lacrosse continues its winning streak against Calvin.

In Podcast

Editor Miles Burton writes in:

The week: Chicago mayoral and aldermanic election results, the college announces an exchange program with Caltech and much more.

“What is Socialism?”—editors Miles Burton and Lee Harris spoke with leftist journalists Osita Nwanevu (A.B. ’15, M.P.P. ’16), a staff writer at The New Yorker, Democratic Socialist organizer Marianela D’Aprile, and Jacobin editor Shawn Gude, following an event hosted by the Political Union.

This week on Dear Abby, love, loss and the dating scene. A listener writes in to learn how to get back into the dating scene after their breakup.

Subscribe at chicagomaroon.com/newsletter. Feedback via e-mail.