First-Year Student Assaulted and Robbed Near Stony Island

The University of Chicago Police Department is investigating the incident, but the University has not issued a security alert.

A University of Chicago student was assaulted and robbed at the intersection of East 59th Street and South Stony Island Avenue at approximately 3:15 a.m. on Monday morning. The student, a first-year in the College who requested to remain anonymous, was leaving International House when he was stopped by three men, who proceeded to attack him with a blunt metal object.

According to the victim, the assault lasted for approximately 15 minutes before the attackers left in a car driven by a fourth man. The victim also claimed he was threatened with gun violence. The student suffered facial lacerations, a head injury, and significant blood loss that required hospital treatment, in addition to the loss of a laptop computer, iPhone, and wallet.

The University of Chicago Police Department (UCPD) is currently investigating the incident, which was posted on the Daily Crime Bulletin—a log with information about serious crimes within UCPD's patrol area that is e-mailed daily to subscribers—on Tuesday morning. However, the University did not issue a security alert. The Department of Safety and Security’s guidelines state that a security warning should be issued when incidents “represent continuing threats to the campus community.” According to the victim, police told him that cameras later spotted the suspected perpetrators driving around the Hyde Park area. The assault has been designated by the UCPD as an off-campus incident, a characterization that the victim disputes.

“It was clearly on-campus,” the student said. “If they want to get into the technicalities…it’s on a common route, it’s between two residence halls, and it’s only three minutes away from [International House].”

The student expressed disappointment with the University’s response to his assault.

“First and foremost, I think something like this should never happen again. But the response the University should have been making was revamping security, figuring things out. It would be nice if someone reached out to me and gave me an opportunity to talk about my experiences with them,” the student said.

The University did not immediately respond to a request for comment.