Booth to Shift to Online-Only Instruction for Two Weeks

Booth’s Hyde Park and downtown campuses will shut down and classes will move to a remote format after a group of M.B.A. students tested positive for COVID–19 following an off-campus gathering on the North Side.
+
Jamie Manley

The University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business will move to virtual instruction for two weeks after “a large group of full-time MBA students congregated off-campus on Chicago’s North Side, many without wearing face coverings,” according to an email to the University community by Dean of Students in the University Michele Rasmussen and Associate Vice President for Safety and Security Eric Heath. As a result, both the Gleacher Center, Booth’s campus in the Loop, and the Harper Center in Hyde Park will close until at least October 28.

“Some individuals from that group have since tested positive for COVID-19,” and over 100 M.B.A. students connected to the gathering must quarantine for two weeks, according to the email. 

Booth announced the closure as a “precautionary measure” to prevent the spread of COVID–19, made after consultation with the University of Chicago Medical Center. 

“We ask everyone on campus to once again review the terms of the UChicago Health Pact and uphold its principles. It takes only one incident like this to put many others at risk,” Rasmussen and Heath said.

Rasmussen and Heath asked University faculty and staff who believe they are experiencing COVID–19 symptoms or had a close contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID–19 to call the UChicago Medicine COVID–19 triage hotline (773.702.WELL). Students are asked to call UChicago Student Wellness (773.834.WELL).