In Official Class of 2024 Profile, Acceptance Rate Rises to 7.3 Percent; Yield Rate Falls to 73.5 Percent

The rise in acceptance rate is a part of a nationwide trend: peer schools such as Harvard, Yale, UPenn, and Northwestern each featured slight decreases in selectivity.
The admissions office housed in Rosenwald Hall.

The acceptance rate for the Class of 2024 was 7.3 percent, according to a newly-released class profile by the College Admissions Office. This year features an increase from last year’s figure of 6.2 percent, and updates an earlier figure cited by Dean of Admissions James Nondorf in an April speech.

Other features of the Class of 2024’s admissions profile include a slight decrease in the number of students who applied—about 34,372 applications were received this year, as opposed to 34,648 last year—and a yield rate of 74 percent, as opposed to 83 percent last year.

UChicago’s increase in acceptance rate mirrors a trend observed at peer schools. At Harvard, the Class of 2024 featured a 4.92 percent acceptance rate, a slight increase from 4.5 percent the year prior. Meanwhile, the University of Pennsylvania’s acceptance rate for the Class of 2024 grew from 7.44 percent to 8.07 percent, and Yale from 5.91 percent to 6.54 percent. At Northwestern, the acceptance rate rose from 8.9 percent to 9 percent for the Class of 2024. The impact of the coronavirus pandemic is likely a large driver in the slight reduction in college selectivity nationwide.

The Class of 2024 is similar to its predecessors in both quantitative and qualitative measures. The class features strong representation from the East Coast, Midwest, and California. ACT scores ranged from 20–36, with a middle 50 percent range of 34–35. SAT scores ranged from 1020–1600 with a 1510–1560 middle range.

The vast majority (81 percent) of the Class of 2024 participated in community service in high school. 65 percent of the class were varsity athletes. Additionally, 38 percent participated in student government, and 22 percent performed in their high school theaters. An additional 22 percent wrote for a high school publication.

In terms of demographics, the Class of 2024 features more males (53 percent) than females (47 percent). 25 percent of the admitted class is Asian, 10 percent is Black or African American, 15 percent is Hispanic or Latino, and 14 percent is international.