Arting Around: Week Five

This week, trick-or-treat yourself to a wickedly good time at Ex After Dark, lift your spirits watching From Dusk till Dawn, or find love at first bite at the South Side Pie Challenge.
Doc Films
Catch the action-packed vampire thriller “From Dusk Till Dawn” after dark, directed by Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino.

Tuesday [10/29]

New Voices in Fiction with Halle Butler 

Logan Center for the Arts, Room 801, 6–7:30 p.m., free

Butler’s latest novel, The New Me, has been called “a definitive work of millennial literature.” Don’t miss your chance to catch one of America’s most promising literary voices, as well as an opening reading by creative writing minor Mireille Farjo (A.B. ’20).  

Smart Talk: The Problem With Police 

Smart Museum of Art, 9 p.m.–12 a.m., free

Join UChicago clinical law professor Craig Futterman in conversation with activists Trina Reynolds-Tyler and Damon Williams in this quarter's edition of the “Smart Talk: What About Human Rights?” presented with the Feitler Center for Academic Inquiry. Take the chance to check out the museum after dark too, including the latest Bread, Butter, and Power exhibit. 

Ex After Dark

Ex Libris Café, 11:59 p.m.–1 a.m., free

If you think you’ve heard the last of her, then you’ve thought wrong—the popular haunt is resurrected from the grave for one night only with a spooky secret menu. Don’t ghost this event.   

Wednesday [10/30]

Diwali: Festival of Lights 

Rockefeller Memorial Chapel, 7–9:30 p.m.

UChicago Hindu Student Sangam invites one and all to celebrate the traditional Diwali puja, one of India’s biggest religious celebrations. Usher in the lights with prayer, music, dance, and food.  

Thursday [10/31]

From Dusk Till Dawn: Robert Rodriguez on 35mm 

Doc Films at the University of Chicago, 10–11:30 p.m., $7 per ticket.

What better way to spend Halloween night than with a film at Doc? Catch this action-packed vampire thriller after dark, directed by Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino. Pull up in costume for your chance at a quarterly movie pass.   

Saturday [11/2]  

Chicago Humanities Festival: Hyde Park Day 

Logan Center, International House, and Oriental Institute, 11 a.m.–6 p.m. Tickets available online at www.chicagohumanities.org

Chicago Humanities Festival rolls through campus for its Hyde Park Day events. Listen to the likes of National Book Award–winning historian Ibram X. Kendi and Pulitzer Prize finalist Suketu Mehta in a day dedicated to this historic neighborhood.  

UAW Women’s Committee 

Swift Hall, Third floor, 1025 East 58th Street, 3–5 p.m.

Members of the United Auto Workers Women’s Committee talk with LaToya Ruby Frazier about their work as it continues both in public and behind the scenes. This event is part of the Renaissance Society’s current exhibition, The Last Cruze.

South Side Pie Challenge 

Hyde Park Neighborhood Club, 5480 South Kenwood Avenue, 2–5 p.m., free admission, $4/slice of pie

What is fall in Hyde Park without the South Side Pie challenge? Spend a lovely afternoon eating pie and listening to live music—all for a good cause! 

South Chicago Dance Festival  

Mandel Hall, 7–10 p.m., $25 per ticket

South Chicago Dance Theater will perform at Mandel Hall alongside other dance troupes from the South Side, including UChicago Maya.