University of Chicago Student Diagnosed with COVID-19

A student from the Booth School of Business has tested positive for COVID-19, according to an announcement from University Provost and BSD Dean.
University of Chicago Medicine

A student at the Booth School of Business was diagnosed with COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, Provost Ka Yee Lee and Dean Kenneth Polonsky said in an email to the University community Tuesday night. The student lives off campus and is receiving treatment, the email said. 

According to the email, the University and University of Chicago Medicine are currently working to identify individuals who may have been in contact with the diagnosed student. 

Lee and Polonsky urged students to continue practicing social distancing and monitor for the progression of symptoms, which include fever, cough, and trouble breathing. 

In the email, Lee and Polonsky reminded students to provide the student diagnosed with COVID-19 privacy and space for recovery. 

Over the past week, UChicago Medicine has been preparing for an increase in COVID-19 patients. The hospital announced this week that it will begin following federal recommendations to cease all elective surgeries. The hospital is also restricting visitor access to minimize potential spread of COVID-19. 

Today in an email from Dean of Students Jay Ellison, members of the College were sent a video message from UChicago Medicine’s chief epidemiologist associate professor Emily Landon who expressed the importance of young individuals, who are at low risk for experiencing chronic or serious sickness from COVID-19, to maintain social distancing for the betterment of the community and high-risk individuals. 

For additional updates on COVID-19 at the University of Chicago, please read The Maroon’s daily updates.