NEWSLETTER

/  

October 26, 2021

/  

10:04 p.m.

5k Race Honors the Late Max Lewis; Hyde Park Residents Lament Lack of Park Maintenance | Newsletter for October 27

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s fifth week. Happy Halloween! 🎃

You can read our digital edition here.

_____________________________________

image

Join the Lumen Christi Institute for dinner and a lecture by professor Rachel Fulton Brown of the University of Chicago on "The Riddle of the Ring: Dark Magic & Spiritual Danger in Tolkien".

Lumen Christi Institute

Join the Lumen Christi Institute for dinner and a lecture by Professor Rachel Fulton Brown of the University of Chicago on "The Riddle of the Ring: Dark Magic & Spiritual Danger in Tolkien".

Click here to learn more!

_____________________________________

Two UChicago students on bikes were hit with paintballs in two separate incidents near 55th Street on the night of October 16. Paintballing has historically been an issue in Hyde Park leading up to Halloween, with incidents reported in 2016 and at least as far back as 2003.

Hyde Park residents say the Chicago Park District is failing to maintain parks on the South Side. They lament the lack of resources for landscaping, maintenance, and keeping the parks clean.

The Office of Career Advancement recently announced a new Careers in Engineering program. The program will connect students with firms and professionals in the world of engineering, and continues a yearslong effort by the University to expand engineering offerings.

Starting this fall, all University faculty, students, and staff have free access to online editions of The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Michigan Chronicle, and Chicago Defender. These may be accessed through the University of Chicago Library website.

On Friday, October 22, the University reported 37 new cases of COVID-19, up from 15 in the previous week. The recent outbreak includes more than 20 professional school students who were associated with an off-campus social gathering and engaged in in-person activities while they were symptomatic.

Harper Lectures returned with a virtual lecture by Nobel laureate and economics professor Michael Kremer. Kremer spoke about using experimental approaches to alleviate global poverty. In particular, his research used economic methods to distribute deworming medicines to children in Kenya.

The Institute of Politics hosted a discussion on gun violence in Chicago. The panel featured Representative Robin Kelly, former Illinois State Representative Ed Sullivan, and UChicago Crime Lab executive director Roseanna Ander. The Chicago Tribune’s Annie Sweeney moderated the discussion. Central topics included the rise of violent crime in Chicago, and what community-based measures can be taken.

President Alivisatos, Provost Ka Yee Lee, and other top members of the administration shared University-wide autumn quarter updates. They announced plans to deal with COVID-19, ensure student safety, and expand campus opportunities.

Last Sunday, 230 runners participated in a memorial 5K to honor the late Max Lewis. The 5K took place on the Midway and was jointly organized by Promontory Investment Research, Alpha Epsilon Pi (AEPi), and Lewis’s close friends.

_____________________________________

In Sports

Editor Finn Hartnett writes in:

This season was both a huge success and a massive disappointment for the Chicago White Sox, who steamrolled through the regular season only to be knocked out in the first round of the playoffs by the Houston Astros. Where do they go from here?

_____________________________________

In Viewpoints

Editor Gage Gramlick writes in

In his column, Luke Contreras argues that Resident Heads are an essential part of the housing experience and calls for them to realize their potential for impact

_____________________________________

In Podcasts

Editor Isaac Krakowka writes in:

The podcast team welcomes a new voice this week to discuss the autumn quarter and COVID-19 updates, the IOP, and Lyft services on campus.

_____________________________________

In Arts

Editor Gabi Garcia writes in:

The Many Saints of Newark, though well-done, ultimately is “overwhelmed by the immense shadow” of The Sopranos.

Arts Reporter Nora Schultz considers The North Water through comparison with similar works also featuring “homoerotic encounters between repressed Victorian-era men forced into tight spaces.”