NEWSLETTER

/  

November 16, 2021

/  

8:42 p.m.

University Community Responds to Recent Violence in Hyde Park | Newsletter for November 17

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s eighth week. Ready for a week off? 🦃

You can read our digital edition here.

Over 300 faculty members sent a public letter to University president Paul Alivisatos and Provost Ka Yee Lee, demanding enhanced safety and security measures in Hyde Park.

• The signees called for enlarging UCPD jurisdiction, installing additional surveillance systems, increasing the number of off-campus security guards, and adding more shuttles surrounding campus.
  • Faculty also demanded increased transparency and “accountable police policies,” calling on the University to release quantifiable goals for its new safety measures and establish a designated committee that oversees the implementation of such strategies.

New safety measures, including surveillance cameras, more police patrols, and more transit options for students, will be implemented in Hyde Park according to a public safety webinar on Thursday afternoon. 

• For University students, the Lyft Ride Smart Program will be available after 9 p.m. every day until November 24, instead of only Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights.

UChicago’s chancellor and former president Robert Zimmer resigned from the University of Austin (UATX) advisory board on November 11, four days after the announcement of the university’s founding.

• Zimmer said that he disagreed with statements made by the UATX about higher education in general, despite their shared commitment to liberal arts education and free expression.
  • Zimmer was asked to serve on the advisory board by Pano Kanelos, the founding president of UATX and former president of St. John’s College in Annapolis, Maryland. 
  • UATX’s advisory board also includes UChicago geophysical sciences professor Dorian Abbot and UChicago law professor Geoffrey Stone, as well as faculty and administrators from other universities around the country.

There have been 48 new cases of COVID-19 this week and 211 close contacts, bringing the campus positivity rate to 0.34 percent for this week. 

• According to the UChicago Forward update, Student Wellness has partnered with the UChicago Medical Center to offer expedited symptomatic COVID-19 testing for students. Students can call Student Wellness to schedule an appointment.
  • The University has also rolled out PCR testing for members of the University community who are exposed to COVID-19. Testing will occur at the Walker Museum and the Gleacher Center. Previously, any exposure testing was conducted through UChicago Medicine or another testing provider.

_____________________________________

In Viewpoints

Editor Kelly Hui writes in:

Columnist Irene Qi deconstructs the romanticization of Instagram friend groups, urging fellow first-years to let go of social media pressures and discover their communities naturally. 

Columnist Maya Ordonez narrates her recent trips out of Hyde Park and how distance from campus provides stress relief and new experiences. 

_____________________________________

In Arts

Editor Isabella Cisneros writes in:

Arts reporter Jordan Goodwin reveals why the Blue Man Group is blue—and much more—after one of the group’s first performances back in Chicago.

Watch out Xander Hastings, there’s a new Survivor in town! Arts reporter Natalie Hoge gives us the down low on Survivor: Chicago, the newest competition show to grace campus.

_____________________________________

In Sports

Editor Finn Hartnett writes in:

The White Sox have an exciting young roster—but that shouldn’t stop them from looking to improve even more.

Sports reporter Hassan Sachee profiles third-year Liza Merenzen, who was a part of the U.S. rhythmic gymnastics team that competed at the Tokyo Olympics this summer.

_____________________________________

In Podcast

Editor Isaac Krakowka writes in:

On this episode of the Maroon Weekly, the podcast team discussed the events of the past week and looked at the University’s current COVID-19 status.