University Requires Students to be Fully Vaccinated by Fall Quarter

Absent religious or medical exemptions, any students participating in in-person classes, research, or other activities in the U.S. will be subject to the requirement.
The University of Chicago Medical Center

In an email to members of the University community sent Tuesday afternoon, Provost Lee announced that the University of Chicago will require all students to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by fall 2021. Absent religious or medical exemptions, any students participating in in-person classes, research, or other activities in the U.S. will be subject to the requirement. The email did not specify whether students studying abroad would be subject to the requirement. In March, the University committed to a full resumption of in-person campus activities by Autumn Quarter.

Vaccines approved by the FDA or WHO (including Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, Covishield, AstraZeneca, and Sinopharm, as of May 13) will meet the University requirement. The email did not specify whether other vaccinations in use abroad such as Russia’s Sputnik vaccine would also be considered satisfactory. Proof of immunization either through medical records or through presentation of a vaccination card will also be necessary to prove fully vaccinated status. 

The announcement comes hours after the Director of the Chicago Department of Public Health updated citywide guidelines for fully vaccinated individuals. Fully vaccinated individuals no longer need to wear masks outdoors or for most indoor activities, although the department recommended that businesses continue to require their customers to wear masks. Dean Boyer previously announced on Friday that all University masking and distancing requirements will remain in place due to uncertainty regarding the number of fully vaccinated individuals involved in campus activities.