NEWSLETTER

/  

May 26, 2021

/  

7 a.m.

Covid-19 Positivity Rate Hits 0; Cecile Richards Speaks to Undergrads | Newsletter for May 26

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It's ninth week. Good luck on finals! 🤞

You can read our digital edition here.

The COVID-19 positivity rate dropped to 0, after none of the off-campus surveillance tests came back positive.

• Per CDPH guidelines, the University eliminated the mask mandate outdoors, after it announced that distancing and masking requirements would not change last week.  
  • In the latest UChicago Forward update, the University also reminded students of the vaccination requirements for all individuals attending in-person activities in fall 2021.

As part of the Clothesline Project, 16 T-shirts in various colors hung in the courtyard outside Hutchinson Commons, each reflecting the voice of someone who has experienced sexual assault, violence, or abuse.

• The Clothesline Project at UChicago is a collaboration between Phoenix Survivors Alliance (PSA) and Student Government’s Sexual Assault Awareness & Prevention (SAAP) Committee. The installation was displayed on Tuesday, May 18; Thursday, May 20; and Monday, May 24 from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. 
  • The initial installation of the project was displayed on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, in 1990, to pay homage to survivors of sexual violence. UChicago students organized multiple Clothesline Project installations between 2012 and 2018 through a now-defunct RSO called the UChicago Clothesline Project.

Cecile Richards, the former President of Planned Parenthood, talked about her career path, partisanship around abortion, and reproductive rights on a state and national scale during a Q&A hosted by UC Dems on May 3.

• Richards spoke to why politics needs to be involved in reproductive access, particularly given her experiences with patients not understanding the role of politics in their healthcare. 
  • Discussing how state-level policies and demographics affect the availability of reproductive health services, Richards mentioned Texas as “a microcosm” of the happenings in the U.S..

The University has extended the move-out deadline for Sidney Colton (A.B. ’89), a former University employee who was recently denied lease renewal in University housing.

• The decision came after Colton appealed the earlier decision on the grounds that the University’s non-renewal notice missed the filing deadline set by a new city ordinance.
  • An active alumnus who frequented Facebook groups of current UChicago students, Colton’s reputation among UChicago undergraduates has been checkered by reported sexual advances towards students.

College Council elected new Undergraduate Student Government (USG) leadership for the 2021-2022 academic year.

• Allen Abbott (’22), Tyler Okeke (’23), Connor Lee (’24), and Summer Long (’23) will serve as Executive Vice President for Internal Affairs, Vice President of Advocacy, Vice President of Campus & Student Life, and Vice President of Student Organizations, respectively.
  • The vote follows the passage of the referendum that splits the student government into a separate USG and Graduate Council, which the student body approved during elections last month. 
  • Due to the transition occurring after Student Government elections, for 2021-2022, executive leadership consists of four individuals instead of three, while the cabinet consists of three Vice Presidents overseeing the committees

_____________________________________

In Arts

Editor Veronica Chang writes in:

Fruit, vegetable, sandwich condiment and more—Arts contributor Evan Williams contemplates Medici's $1 side of tomato.

Sometimes an artist cuts off his own ear but then gives us really pretty paintings, so who are we to judge? Arts editor Angelique Alexos reviews Chicago's immersive Van Gogh exhibit.

_____________________________________

In Grey City

Editor Laura Gersony writes in:

UChicago has an extensive infrastructure devoted to meeting the needs of students with learning disabilities—but many of these students say it’s falling short. Grey City investigates

_____________________________________

In Viewpoints

Editor Gage Gramlick writes in:

Columnist Soham Mall calls for universities to put an end to their elitism and open up to the outside world in order to stay relevant. 

_____________________________________

In Sports

Editor Alison Gill writes in:

Graduating athletes reflect on their college sports careers and how the pandemic cut them short.