University Reports 307 New COVID-19 Cases After Resumption of In-Person Classes, Reiterates Booster Requirement

The University reopened residence halls and returned to in-person activities following two weeks of virtual classes.

The University reported 307 new COVID-19 cases and a 1.73 percent positivity rate in surveillance tests this week, according to a UChicago Forward email sent Friday afternoon. 

56 of the 307 positive cases came from the University’s surveillance testing program. The rest are from symptomatic testing and self-reported cases of off-campus students. As of Friday, 28 students are in on-campus isolation housing, while 66 students are isolating off-campus.

Last week, Housing and Residence Life (HRL) reimposed restrictions on inter-dorm visitors that were in place last academic year. According to the email, further updates on the policy will be provided on February 4.

The University will also release information on the new requirement that instructors and students keep their masks on while speaking in classrooms. The University is currently working with experts from UChicago Medicine (UCM) “to see when conditions will allow some additional precautions to be rolled back.”

The email reiterated that all students must comply with the University’s COVID-19 booster shot requirement by January 31st. Students who are currently eligible to get a booster shot must either upload proof of receiving a booster shot in the my.WellnessPortal or apply for an exception.