Student Service Fee Cancelled for Ph.D. Students in Six Divisions and Schools; Admin Launches Fund to Reduce Violence | Newsletter for February 2

The February 2nd, 2022 edition of The Maroon newsletter.

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter.

Good morning. It’s fourth week. Ready for some snow? ❄️

You can read this week’s issue of The Maroon here.

_____________________________________

Join the Lumen Christi Institute for a bi-weekly reading group that will explore the three treatises of Friedrich Nietzsche’s On The Genealogy of Morality! Discussions will be held at 6:00 p.m. on February 10, February 24, and March 10 at Gavin House (1220 East 58th Street) with assistant instructional professor in the Social Sciences Collegiate Division David Lyons. Dinner will be served!

(Lumen Christi Institute)

Click here to learn more!

_____________________________________

Ph.D. students in six divisions and schools are no longer required to pay the student services fee starting in the 2022–23 school year.

• The quarterly fee goes toward supporting services offered by Campus and Student Life.
  • The six graduate divisions and schools have agreed to cover the fee on the behalf of their students. 
  • Graduate Students United had boycotted the fee since February 2021. More than 500 graduate students participated in the boycott, collectively owing almost $100,000 by the time of the announcement.

UChicago will start a multi-year fund to foster relationships between the University and various community organizations to address the “root causes of violence” after recent shootings in Hyde Park.

• At a virtual roundtable, President Paul Alivisatos said that the fund will be aimed at “supporting and encouraging partnerships between University units and community-based entities that advance research and improve community-based outcomes.”
  • Illinois Lieutenant Governor Julia Stratton also spoke at the event, which included UChicago faculty, alumni, and administrators.

_____________________________________

In Viewpoints:

Editor Kelly Hui writes in:

Columnist Emma Weber criticizes the decision to start winter quarter online, arguing that the University should be able to adapt its policies to maintain a safe and fulfilling in-person experience.

Columnist Sylvia Ebenbach explores the immersive educational opportunities of the city of Chicago.

Annabelle Chan’s cartoon illustrates the uncovering of UChicago's involvement in Cartel 568, an alleged price-fixing scheme involving 16 elite universities that illegally colluded on financial aid formulas.

​​_____________________________________

In Arts:

Editor Isabella Cisneros writes in:

Arts reporter Noor Zalt questions the intentions behind Barbara Kruger’s flashy exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago, Thinking of You. I Mean Me. I Mean You.

Arts reporter Liviu Megherea lets us in on two albums that went under the radar last year but deserve the hype.

_____________________________________

In Sports:

Editor Finn Hartnett writes in:

Sports reporter Marcos Gonzalez explains how the men's basketball team notched their first conference win against New York University on Sunday and the women nearly pulled off another upset against the Violets.