Derrick Teo Wee Ghee

CONTRIBUTIONS

Trapped in commercial culture, Raven's tragic Salesman thrives

Raven Theatre’s 60th Anniversary production of Salesman, though, renders it practically impossible to discount the vulnerable side of any character in the play.

/  

October 13, 2009

Chris Rock talks Hair, there and everywhere

Comedian Chris Rock’s “passion project,” Good Hair, is a comedy-documentary that takes a closer look at a lucrative industry producing billions of dollars every year – African-American hairstyles.

/  

October 9, 2009

Smart's Heartland goes beyond corn and quilts

Heartland extends the common geographic definition of the “American heartland” to include areas such as Detroit and Chicago, encompassing both the Great Plains and the Mississippi Delta to present works of art that provide an unconventional insight …

/  

October 4, 2009

Top 5 Chicago Music Events

Lollapalooza dominates with big names, while Pitchfork draws from the fringe. Other acts certainly hold their own.

/  

June 2, 2009

Photo students’ diverse talents made Manifest at Columbia

Putting the best work of Columbia College’s graduating photography students on display, Manifest, Columbia College’s B.A./B.F.A. photography exhibition showcases a veritable kaleidoscope of student talent.

/  

May 19, 2009

Glasgow’s Mogwai rocks long and loud at Congress Theatre

Mogwai’s Barry Burns muses on drugs, his “bastard” band mates, and the meaning of “Xmas Steps.”

/  

May 12, 2009

MoCP reveals urban planning’s rough edges, good intentions

As part of the Burnham Plan Centennial Committee’s year-long celebrations, the Museum of Contemporary Photography (MoCP) has brought together several artists known for their interest in urban issues in its new exhibit, The Edge of Intent.

/  

May 5, 2009

Fielding offers an emotional look at the life of blind children in Mexico City

Chicago-based photographer Jed Fielding explores what the eyes of the blind reveal in Look At Me: Photographs from Mexico City, a series of photographs of blind children in Mexico’s capital.

/  

April 14, 2009

Aussie songstress breaks into U.S. music scene with new tour

Australia native Missy Higgins is an up-and-coming singer touring the United States with novelist Harlan Coben. She took time before her April 7th performance at Wilmette Theatre to talk to the Maroon.

/  

April 7, 2009

MoCP takes photos to third dimension

PhotoDimensional looks to subtly destabilize the notion of photographic truth by exploring the effects on perception when 3-D forms are represented in 2-D photographs.

/  

February 24, 2009