Free newspapers to return to campus in January

The Collegiate Readership program, which brought free copies of The New York Times and USA Today to campus last spring, will return in January.

The program will deliver about 250 to 300 copies of both papers to a select number of locations five days a week, SG President and fourth-year Youssef Kalad announced at an SG General Assembly meeting last night.

In the past, newspaper distribution locations have included the University’s graduate schools, like the Harris School of Public Policy and the Law School, but they will focus on serving an undergraduate population now.

When asked to fund a portion of the program this year, Kalad said, the graduate schools declined, even though the program was popular among graduate students.

“The grad schools really want the program, but no grad school is willing to foot the bill,” he said.

The funding for the program, which comes from the student activities fee, would cover winter and spring quarters. SG has had $18,000 set aside for the program since the beginning of the year, but held off from launching it, out of concern that it would run out of money before year’s end.

If SG pays for 300 or more copies daily, U of C students will also receive a 50 percent discount for online subscriptions to The New York Times.

Last October, a pilot program offered The New York Times, Chicago Tribune, and USA Today. With overwhelming support from students, the program continued through the year, though a limited allocation from the Student Government Finance Committee (SGFC) cut the number of copies down to 400 per day.