Newsletter for October 13

New numbers — high admit rate and enrollment for Class of 2021; Water main repair work on 53rd; and Try-Me’s Café opens at SSA

Subscribe to the Maroon Newsletter here.

Good morning. It’s third week.

The University officially released admissions data for the Class of 2021 yesterday.

• Admit rate: 8.7 percent of 27,694 applicants (2020: 7.9 percent)
  • Yield: 72 percent (2020: 62 percent)
  • Enrollment: 1,735 (2020: 1,591)
  • This was the first cycle that UChicago offered early decision, and the University said it enrolled the largest class in the College’s “modern history.”
  • Here’s a chart showing the growth in incoming class sizes since 1999:
()

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Chicago’s Department of Water Management will close sections of 53rd Street between Dorchester Avenue and Hyde Park Boulevard and Dorchester Avenue between 53rd and 55th streets to replace a water main installed in 1890. Work will last until at least next April. Parking near the work areas is expected to be limited.

Four days till polls open for the graduate student unionization vote. Graduate Students United has planned a rally on the quad on Monday at 12:30 p.m.

History professor Alain Bresson was awarded the American Historical Association’s 2017 James Henry Breasted Prize “for the best book in English in any field of history prior to CE 1000.” Bresson won the prize for his book The Making of the Ancient Greek Economy: Institutions, Markets, and Growth in the City-States. Originally written in French, the English edition, translated by Steven Rendall, won the award.

Try-Me’s café at the School of Social Service Administration had its grand opening on Tuesday.

CC election: Voting for the Class of 2021 College Council election closes on Blueprint at 4:30 p.m. today. Ten of the 18 candidates participated in a debateon Tuesday organized by the Chicago Debate Society. The results will be released around 4:45 p.m. today in Reynolds Club.

Tribune reporting on OPC archive digitization: Unlike other presidential libraries, the Obama Presidential Center will not house a large archive of paper documents. A Chicago Tribune feature looks at the implications of the Foundation’s decision to rely on digitized archives. Because the National Archives and Records Administration will not be managing archives, the Obama Foundation can avoid certain federal standards for the Center.

• Susan Sher, senior advisor to President Robert J. Zimmer and the University’s point person for the project, said: “[The Center] offers opportunities for expanded programming and convening, which likely will be of interest for faculty and students from the University of Chicago and other universities, as well as young people throughout the region.”

Alum Rami Nashashibi (A.M. ’98, Ph.D. ’11), a social justice activist of Chicago’s South Side, was awarded a MacArthur “Genius” fellowship. The honor comes with $625,000 grant paid in installments. A Palestinian-American Muslim trained as a sociologist, Nashashibi was recognized by the Foundation for “confronting the challenge of poverty and disinvestment in urban communities through a Muslim-led civic engagement effort that bridges race, class, and religion.” He is executive director of the Inner-City Muslim Action Network (IMAN).

Grammy Award–winning composer Eric Whitacre will perform with the University of Chicago’s Motet Choir and a Northwestern vocal ensemble at a concert tonight at Rockefeller Memorial Chapel.

In Viewpoints

Columnist Ashton Hashemipour argues that labeling mass shooters as “terrorists” other-izes them and evades the question of how fanaticized gun culture is a fundamental part of American society.

Columnist Henry Saroyan writes that if “we are ever to recover political legitimacy, we must champion the Core and its defense of the ‘life of the mind.’”

In Arts

Michael Sherman reviews Blade Runner 2049: “The stunning visuals, the intense philosophy, and the consistency with the already established universe of Blade Runner are all that could have been hoped for with this sequel. Perhaps because so much exists in this movie that I love, the glaring flaws flash more brightly than they do in other films.”

The Revolution Will Not Be Improvised! premiered at The Revival on Saturday.

In Sports

Men’s soccer has two games at home this weekend, and looks to bounce back after suffering its first regular season loss in 29 games. Men’s and women’s tennis won the singles final at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Central Region finals.

Feedback via e-mail to news@chicagomaroon.com