University Opens Campus in Hong Kong

The campus joins existing UChicago centers in Delhi, Beijing, and Paris, and a Booth School site in London.
Bing Thom Architects
A 2016 rendering of the Hong Kong center

The University announced a partial opening for the University of Chicago Francis and Rose Yuen Campus in Hong Kong on September 26. The campus will begin operating at full capacity in November.

Located on the historic Mount Davis, the campus has roots in the University’s Executive MBA (EMBA) degree program in Hong Kong, offered by the Booth School of Business.

The Hong Kong campus joins existing University centers in Delhi, Beijing, and Paris, as well as a Booth School site in London. Once fully functioning, it will support UChicago undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty pursuing research in Hong Kong and Asia, and facilitate the University’s collaborations with academic, corporate, and governmental partners in that region.

The campus is named after Francis Yuen, a University trustee, and Rose Yuen. They are also the namesakes of a house in Campus North Residential Commons.

The partial opening followed the completion of the campus’s main academic building, known as Hong Kong Jockey Club (HKJC) University of Chicago Academic Complex. Its facilities include two-tiered lecture halls, multiple group study rooms, a student lounge, a reading room, and a multi-function hall.

The campus will be home to the continuing EMBA program and support the new Program on Social Innovation, which will foster NGO and social entrepreneurship work in Hong Kong. Both are operated by the Booth School.

“The campus will be a base for our world-renowned faculty and our students to work and study in Hong Kong as well as serve as a gathering space for alumni throughout Asia and an intellectual resource for the region,” Madhav Rajan, dean of the Booth School, said in a University press release.

The Hong Kong campus will also serve as a hub for study abroad programs, including the existing quarter-long Colonizations program that fulfills the Civilization Studies requirement for the Core. Additionally, it will work with Career Advancement and UChicago Grad to facilitate undergraduate and graduate internship programs, including the Metcalf Internship program.

With further construction awaiting completion, the campus will host a series of official Opening Celebration events between November 30 and December 2. President Robert J. Zimmer will visit the campus in November.

“The new Hong Kong campus…is operating on a limited basis until the full opening scheduled for November 2018,” the University press release said.

Still under development is the Heritage Campus, which will preserve Mount Davis’s historic buildings dating from the colonial period and update them for contemporary use. Once complete, the Heritage Campus will include a courtyard, hiking trails, and an interpretation center that will host public exhibits introducing the site’s history. It will be open to the public in the coming December.