Saieh Family Funds New Postdoctoral Program

A new permanent postdoctoral fellows program in economics will be formed due to a donation from the University trustee.
UChicago
Saieh Hall for Economics

A recent gift from University trustee Alvaro Saieh (A.M. ’76, Ph.D. ’80) will be used to fund the Saieh Family Fellows in Economics, a new permanent postdoctoral fellows program.  

The program, which will be offered through the Becker Friedman Institute of Economics, will allow early-career economists to explore research topics of their choice. Topics include applied microeconomics, the labor market, and econometrics. 

The new program is an extension of the existing Chicago Research Fellows program, established in 2017 from a gift from the Saieh Family Fund. 

Saieh is the founder of CorpGroup, one of Chile’s largest banking conglomerates. After finishing his Ph.D. at UChicago, he worked in the public sector, serving as an adviser to the Ministry of Housing and Public Works and chief economist of the Central Bank of Chile.  

Saieh joined the University’s Board of Trustees in 2012 and serves on the Becker Friedman Institute’s Advisory Council. He is also the namesake of Saieh Hall, which houses the Kenneth C. Griffin Department of Economics.