News

Packed forum presses admins on Reg arrest

Concerns over other potential cases of racial profiling dominated proceedings. Administrators had few specific answers to attendees' questions, citing three ongoing investigations.

Photo: Darren Leow/The Chicago Maroon
Reverend Paul R. Ford, a graduate student at the Divinity School, claims the University of Chicago Police Department engages in racial profiling Tuesday at an open forum in the Reynolds Club.

Students and community members, frustrated by what they perceived as years of racial profiling by the UCPD, confronted University, Library, and UCPD administrators Tuesday, in a charged open forum in the Reynolds Club.

Over 200 people attended the forum, which was convened to address a powerful student response to last Wednesday’s arrest of fourth-year Mauriece Dawson in the A-level, which many at the meeting said is part of a larger culture of racial profiling on the part of UCPD.

A Regenstein clerk called the UCPD Wednesday night to report an “unruly” group of students, including Dawson, although witnesses said they were not unusually loud for the popular study area. When told to leave the building by a UCPD officer, Dawson repeatedly asked why he had to leave; the officer placed him in a choke hold, pinned him to the floor, and placed him under arrest. Witnesses said Dawson, who is black, was never asked for identification.

Administrators and attendees stressed the need for a quick investigation into police and library staff conduct, but argued how reforms could dispel a simmering feeling of mistrust.

The forum was sponsored by the Office of Campus and Student Life, and Student Government (SG).

Administrators had few specific answers to attendees’ questions, citing the ongoing investigations—three are underway, within the Library, UCPD, and Campus and Student Life—or about the specifics of Dawson’s case.

However, UCPD Chief Marlon Lynch did say the sergeant who arrested Dawson has been reassigned but has not removed from the force, and Vice President for Campus and Student Life Kim Goff-Crews said the charges can’t be dropped based on talks with University counsel.

“The charges were made by the police, so they’re responsible for shepherding them through the system. We don’t think, legally, the University can pull them back,” Goff-Crews said, adding later, “We’ll do what we can” to support the student.

Concerns over this and other potential cases of racial profiling dominated proceedings. Around 50 attendees raised their hands when Dawson asked how many felt that they, or someone they knew, had been racially profiled by UCPD officers. More than half were black. “This is not an isolated incident,” Dawson said.

Some in the audience told stories, often in great detail, in which they felt that they or some one they know had been profiled by UCPD. Divinity Ph.D. student Reverend Paul R. Ford (M.Div. '05) interrupted one administrator to say the UCPD has engaged in racial profiling since at least 2003, when he said the University accosted a black School of Social Service Administration graduate student when he met a white, female friend on campus at 3 a.m.; the first thing Ford said officers did was ask the woman if she was okay, suggesting they viewed the student as a threat.

Wanting to “cut the crap,” Ford received applause when he yelled: “I am sick and tired of black students being racially profiled at the University of Chicago by their own police department.”

Two members of the audience, both black, recounted recent incidents when they were stopped by UCPD officers outside of the Reg; both said they were doing nothing suspicious. One of those students said one police officer involved didn’t cooperate when he asked for his badge number, and Lynch confirmed an investigation is underway in that case.

While first-year Ariel McCleese, a witness to Dawson’s arrest, said the lack of a UCPD response made her feel “overlooked”—she said she received one response from 25 e-mails to administrators—Lynch said the UCPD is taking students’ claims seriously. There is an internal investigation underway at the department, he said, for which the more than 30 students who are listed as witnesses will be contacted. He also said that there is an external body that investigates cases of police misconduct including instances of excessive force and civil rights violations.

“This isn’t cops training cops. This is professionals within the University of Chicago culture assisting us with what the lifestyle is here,” he said. “It takes time to change a culture, and those who have established patterns…we will take the necessary action to remove them from employment.” He said achieving “organizational change” would take time, and urged those in the audience to participate.

Many at the forum were confused about ID policy, and Lynch pointed to the fine print on the back of the card, where it says “Must be shown on demand.” When investigating a call, Lynch said an officer should attempt to identify the person about whom the call was made, to hear his or her side of the story, and then to make an arrest if the person is not forthcoming. “Can you ask questions to an officer? Sure, of course you can,” Lynch said, but allowed for exceptions. He said a police officer is expected to ask questions of the student before making an arrest; witnesses have said that did not occur in Dawson’s case.

Goff-Crews said the ID policy needs clarification and that students should help administrators understand “how do we talk to staff and train staff…so that you feel comfortable” in showing identification.

One student asked how a University affiliate can be trespassing on University property. Once a student has been asked to leave, and then refuses, Lynch said, “That’s when it’s criminal trespass.”

Assistant Director of the Library Jim Vaughn was the most remorseful administrator who spoke. “This is something that we feel very badly about and…we [at the Library] are investigating,” Vaughn said, adding he was personally saddened at what happened.

When some in the audience raised concerns that Library employees call police too often, Vaughn disagreed. “We rely on you to self-police the library,” he said. “We do this [call UCPD] when people refuse to abide by a library policy.”

However, Goff-Crews said there may be a misconception of what is permissible in the A-level. “I don’t think most adults understand the A-level culture,” Goff-Crews said, referring to 50- and 60-year-olds. “It’s a student culture, and people talk.”

Attendees pointed to other times when no serious action was taken in previous instances of Library policies being broken, including when “white frat boys” drank beer and ate pizza in the A-level. “I can walk around naked, but I can’t laugh,” one student said, referring to another unpunished student.

Goff-Crews asked the audience for suggestions at “structures” in which students and community members can help adapt UCPD policy, but she did not receive concrete answers; at another point students asked her how they might get involved. She and Lynch put forward a few proposals, including a SG­led committee, a liaison with the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, and more regular open forums on the subject.

Divinity School Dean Richard Rosengarten also attended the meeting, but did not speak.

Many of those interviewed after the forum said they hadn’t expected administrators would answer many of their questions, given that investigations are ongoing. Nevertheless, second-year Margaret Marion said the meeting wasn’t as productive as it could have been.

“I understand their limitations, and with all due respect, I understand they couldn’t disclose certain information, but they still weren’t helpful in proposing potential changes,” said Marion, who witnessed Dawson’s arrest, filed a misconduct report with UCPD as the incident unfolded, and helped gather signatures after Dawson was taken away.

“I don’t feel hopeful at all,” Marion said. “I think this is going to blow over, and the only way this isn’t going to blow over is if enough of us speak up.”

Director of the University Community Service Center and longtime Woodlawn resident Wallace Goode said the UCPD has a history of racial profiling.

“What occurred has been part of the UCPD’s M.O. ever since I can remember, and students often hear the story of when I was by harassed by the UCPD when I was a sophomore in high schoolthat’s 1968.”

Goode said he saw “frustration, concrete examples of unfair treatment, a desire to be a part of the solution, and doubt that the University will successfully address the situation” at the forum, but he had hope that the situation would finally be addressed, not least of all because he had expected the discourse to be more heated.

“This is a real opportunity for Kim Goff-Crews, Marlon Lynch, and a committed student community to turn this around,” he said.

• anon

Photo looks like someone on Judge Joe Brown

• Ann O’Nymous

I think the police officer did the right thing. I simply don’t understand what the big fuzz is.

• David P. Lyons

Weren’t the police called not because of noise on the A-Level but because Dawson and his friend were being disruptive on the 1st Floor on their way to the A-Level?

• Anthony Mouse

I don’t think there was ever a time when Maurice wasn’t ‘unusually loud’

• Sarah Fishbein

The story about a police officer questioning the white female who was meeting her black friend, to make sure she was ok, is not strong evidence of anything.

I, a white female, have been asked by a police officer if my white father, a university professor, is with me of my own accord.

Police should follow their suspicions WITHIN REASON. Humans use stereotyping to organize their information processing toward efficient judgment as situations necessitate that they do so.

However, not following protocol–like not asking for an ID and putting a student in a choke hold–especially when the student is not being physically aggressive is a REAL problem. It’s just not clear from the information in this article whether that’s a result of the failing of that individual police officer or the training of the majority of the force.

• Anon.

And he wasn’t arrested for being a nuisance, he was arrested for criminal trespass – he was asked to leave by the officer and was not complying.

• tsion

obviously no one that has left a message thus far actually attended the meeting this week. due to this fact, the ill-informed comments currently posted on the website are totally unproductive and ignorant of the facts a general level. the fact of the matter was that a STUDENT, not emphasizing the point that he was a black (male) student, was unjustly physically abused, arrested, and detained over night by the (university) chicago police department should be an issue of concern to the entire university community. i don’t know why anyone here is pretending to know mauriece, or the details of that night, because if you did have any knowledge of the facts you would have either (a) provided an interview to assist in advancing the ongoing investigation or (b) attended the public forum. moving forward, we need students from all the communities on campus to voice their concerns on a public level, and not just as anonymous voices on a website. if you feel that strongly, then i would suggest that you take the initiative to take advantage of the SEVERAL opportunities that have been provided for students to voice their responses regarding the arrest and detention of the student in question.

i would expect uofc students to be more informed with respect to illinois law and university protocol. the university clearly expressed that they thought this was something that should not have happened, and certainly should and will not happen again in the future. and despite the fact that you think this would/could not happen to you, it could. and that is the focus of student organizing at this point – to make sure this does not happen to another student, irrespective or race, gender, sexuality, whatever. we are all students, please recognize and respect that fact.

• TSION

PS
    sorry for the typos…but the ignorance got me heated. have a great finals week! read a book.

• Nathan Wilmers

Thank you to Tsion, for injecting some sense into this conversation. It is baffling to me that the comments above ignore the basic structure of the situation: a student refused to be bullied by some out-of-control cop, and he was put in a choke hold and locked in a small room all night. If you take a second to consider the brutality, and likely trauma, involved in this disproportionate response, it might help to stem the hemorrhaging ignorance reflected in the previous posts. This entire incident is shameful to the UCPD, which has long been a blight on the U of C community. Let’s come together as students and try to build some positive change out of this disaster.

• Annon2

So what can be done? How do we rally?

• David P. Lyons

Tsion and Mr. Wilmers, do you actually know that the officer employed a chokehold? While I agree that such a response would, at least in most circumstances, have been excessive, the people who have been making this claim do have their own bias: they are friends of Mr. Dawson. Given that fact, their claims should be met with at least some degree of skepticism, yes? Until it’s clear that such excessive force was used, we will not be able to say in any authoritative way that Mr. Dawson was subjected to physical abuse, excessive or otherwise, or that the officer was “out of control.”

To be clear, I am not saying that this situation was handled perfectly or even well: I simply don’t know, and I suspect that most of the people weighing in on this issue also don’t know. That lack of knowledge should be arguing against any pre-judgments about the events of that night.

• TSION

the witnesses present that night testified that the officer employed a chokehold, which is why that is what was reported in the maroon. and you are incorrect in assuming that even the majority of those witnesses were mauriece’s friends, because i have talked to several witnesses who had not met mauriece prior to that night.

that being said, i think we should all just try to educate ourselves on the facts of the case – and the underlying issues regarding safety and security on campus – as we try to move forward from this event. as mauriece stated, this was not an isolated incident, and that fact is what should be at the heart of this discussion.

• Lindsay

The University of Chicago Card

The University of Chicago card is an official identification card and its use is subject to the regulations of the University. The card identifies a person as either a student or an employee, but not both. Students whose cards identify them as employees may obtain a quarterly supplementary card identifying them as students from the Office of the University Registrar. The card is not transferable and must be presented upon demand to a University official. A student is subject to disciplinary action if he or she fails to identify himself or herself adequately upon the request of a University official. Misuse of the card will result in its forfeiture and may be subject to disciplinary action.

Q.E.D.

• Alumnus

Mr. Lyons, you and others seem to missing a few key details. First, Mr. Dawson is facing a charge of Criminal Trespassing. He is not being charged with Disturbing the Peace, which in the City of Chicago can only get you a fine up to $500. (8-4-010 Municipal Code) The fact that the arrest was made on the A-Level, or that the noise was made on the first floor or stairwell is obsolete. He was not arrested for these details.

To take a step back, according to witnesses, no questioning or verbal exchange was made between Mr. Dawson and the Officer that made it clear that Mr. Dawson was being accused of Criminal Trespassing. In which case, he could be physically removed if the owner or occupants of said property had previously asked him to do so (8-4-050).

What does this mean?
    – Mr. Dawson, was in a secured building that he swiped/identified to get into
    – The officer arrived on the premises under the assumption that Mr. Dawson was trespassing.
    – The library staff person that called the police, identified Mr. Dawson as some one who did not belong in the library.
    – At no point was Mr. Dawson asked to identify himself by someone who could be clearly identified as a person of authority.
    – Mr. Dawson was removed and spent the night in jail because he was in a building that he swiped and identified himself to get into.

Ms. Fishbein, you have made two excellent points. First, white women are often asked if they are ok, if their escort is welcome. I recall many of my white female friends recounting tales of how offended they were when they were questioned by an officer if their “uncommon escort” was welcome. I don’t recall any of my black females friends recounting such tales.

Secondly, you have brought to the table the issue of suspicion. Is it instinct or implicit association? Either way, the face of “stranger” has already been painted, as much as the face of “student” has been painted.

This is about policy, procedure, and equal treatment. It is not about noise. It is about someone’s ability to feel safe and comfortable in a sea of faces that don’t look like their own. You know, like when UChicago students wander south of 63rd…

• Brittany

Please excuse me, but I didn’t realize disciplinary action involved a headlock and a night in jail.

• David P. Lyons

Alumnus, I realize that the charge was trespassing. My earlier question was not directed to the charge but to the apparent changing nature of that facts being presented in the Maroon stories on the incident. The more recent story leaves out some information presented in the original story, specifically, that Mr. Dawson’s behavior that night apparently first became an issue while he was on the 1st Floor. The more recent story makes no mention of that claim, and instead concentrates on the norms of the A-Level. This misses at least some details of the events of that night, at least as they were reported by the Maroon originally.

• P.B.S. Pinchback

To the distinguished “Alumnus” that posted above:

Are we supposed to be impressed by the fact that you can Copy and Paste from the Penal Code? Or simply distracted? I ask because it seems that the conclusions that you draw cannot be logically inferred from the assumptions that you provided. This, of course, excepts the fact that you also assume eyewitness testimony that “no questioning or verbal exchange was made” is correct – a dicey gambit, given that everyone seems to agree upon the fact that the A-Level was extremely loud that night. But I guess this is what takes place when you draw your conclusions before arranging the “facts” to fit your point.

• What are my rights?

“Mr. Dawson was removed and spent the night in jail because he was in a building that he swiped and identified himself to get into”

This is the part that puzzles me the most. Maurice was arrested for trespassing based on the assumption he could not provide a UCID. However, he obviously had to present his UC ID to get into the library in the first place. So then, what exactly are the grounds for his arrest?

As effective as it is to rally against injustice and raise our voices for changes in UCPD conduct, I think it is also just as effective to educate students on their rights during encounters with the police. The more informed we are as to our rights in certain situations, the better we can make well informed decisions that protect us from police malpractice. I’m not quite sure if this is going on already, but in addition to the open forums of discussion and student rallys I for one would love to sit in on a seminar that educates me on my basic rights when interacting with the UCPD and police in general.

• anon

Re: “Alumnus” and “what are my rights”

I’ve walked into the Reg many times without my UCID. To get in without swiping, you simply pretend to swipe your card, squeeze your legs between those clear door-like things, and walk in in in hurry as most students do. Sometimes the door-things fail to open all the way, or at all, when you swipe.

So it is improper to assume that just because you’ve gotten past the UCID-scanner and are in the Reg that you’re allowed to be there.

• Seeker of Logic

Lindsay, QED implies logic. You provided a quote.

1. It has yet to be ascertained whether Mauriece was asked to show his ID. Multiple witnesses suggest the contrary.
    2. If he was specifically and clearly asked to show his ID, ‘disciplinary action’ can mean:
    a. Forfeiture of card
    b. Request of removal from premises
    c. Physical removal from premises
    d. Headlock and pinning to floor without any sign of physical threat
    e. Jail time
    f. Monetary Fine
    g. Physical or Verbal abuse
    3. You have not specified what appropriate ‘disciplinary action’ entails. Does it entail physical restraint? Use of firearm? Verbal abuse? (NB: I am not saying that any or all of the above happened, but your ‘proof’ lacks any definitional basis.)
    4. QED implies a proof has been set up: premise, argument, and conclusion.
    5. If #1 and #2 are unclear or untrue, then you have failed to provide a premise, argument or conclusion.
    6. Therefore, your quote does not demonstrate a ‘quod erat demonstrandum’.

QED

• ALUMNUS

Mr. Lyons, I am aware of the details that are escaping the story as it develops. Mr. Dawson’s behavior was not an issue on the first floor- it was his volume on the first floor. Had he been acting out (ex. threatening others) or acting destructively (ex. throwing computers) the course of actions would not be so disturbing.

P.B.S. Pinchback, you assume I have googled something to support a lofty and/or illogical argument. I have no need to google penal code, as I have my own copy. Nor have I need to copy and paste, as it is my job to know Chicago Municipal Code. My inferences were made after having spoken with a deputy commander for CPD. It draws from two assumptions that end at the same incident. Assumption 1 is that the officer was acting logically and legally. In which case, according to this situation and the typical actions of an officer in such a situation, he would have had to have arrived on the premises under the assumption that Mr. Dawson was threatening the safety of the library and that he had already been asked to leave. Assumption 2 follows a course full of holes. It requires that the library employee called the police for a Disturbing the Peace violation (see reference above) and that the officer did not follow protocol, which is simply to ask someone to “keep it down.” In either case, we see a flawed course of action. In Assumption 1, as an officer of a private police department, he should have asked Mr. Dawson for identification, and explained what the violation was to the student (which did not happen according to at least 10 signatures). In Assumption 2, the officer did not follow protocol. In either case the library employee and/or the officer were out of line.

Seeker of Logic, I agree, except “physical or verbal abuse” is not a legal tool officers can use. Self-defense and verbal reinforcement are viable options.

The details and the incident are less important than the apparent need for transparency of protocol/procedure/policy for UChicago employees and UCPD. It is less important than the need to make clear to both students and authorities the responsibilities of UCPD, as well as the extent of independence UCPD has from CPD. Where is the overlap? It is important that students understand that the purpose of UCPD is to uphold (8-4-010) but not (8-8-080- Public Indecency). If my memory serves me correctly, UCPD probably exercised this last week, as it is customary for the entire track team to run naked through this same library…