Crime Report – 10-01-04

A homicide occurred at 1100 East 47th Street, at some point between September 19 and 21. The victim of the homicide was an elderly gentleman who had taken in a homeless woman to live with him. On Saturday, September 25, several tenants in the victim’s building registered a complaint regarding a foul odor coming from the man’s apartment. Upon entering the apartment, police discovered the victim’s body and the homeless woman whom he had taken in. According to the woman, the man had attacked her with a knife, and she retaliated by stabbing him with a pair of scissors. She then bound his hands and feet with electrical wire and chains and stabbed him with a ceramic snake. The woman then removed the victim’s wallet and other personal possessions from his wallet. The woman has been charged with murder in the first degree and armed robbery.

On September 22, at 4:30 p.m., a robbery occurred at 800 East 59th Street. A 52-year-old female victim reported that two offenders approached her, one with a gun, and demanded that she surrender her purse. The victim complied and the assailants fled from the scene.

On September 27, at 8:30 p.m., a woman’s car was stolen at 5400 South Cornell Avenue in an alley. The victim reports that she was approached by two men, one with a gun, that demanded she surrender her vehicle. The victim then exited the car and the assailants entered the vehicle and fled from the scene. The vehicle was a 1998 red Subaru.

On September 20, a man attempted to rob a woman on the 1700 block of East 54th Street. The assailant asked the victim for the time and then attacked her and demanded her purse. The victim began to scream and ran into the middle of the street. The man fled without any of the woman’s possessions.