Sports Shorts

Hannah Roberts scoreless inning streak at 46.1 innings as softball sweeps

After being named NCAA Division III Player of the Week, second-year pitcher Hannah Roberts continued her dominance with her arm and her bat this past weekend.

Roberts (12-1, 0.16 ERA) started the first game of a home doubleheader against a strong University of Wisconsin-Whitewater team that came in with a 16-4 record. She pitched a complete game, giving up only 3 hits and striking out 13. First-year second baseman Nancy Bugajski led the offensive attack, blowing the game open with a two-RBI single in the bottom of the sixth to put the Maroons up 3-0.

In the second game, second-year first baseman Rachel Cohen hit a two-run homer, her second, to put the Maroons up 3-0. First-year pitcher Petra Wade struggled in the top of the sixth with two outs, giving up three consecutive hits. Wade (5-1, 1.04) struck out UW’s sixth hitter to get out of the jam.

The Maroons went to the North Central Triangular on Saturday to play two. Roberts started against MacMurray (11-12) and struck out 13 batters again, keeping it scoreless into extra innings. In the bottom of the ninth, Roberts came to the plate with two on and two out. Her RBI-single won the game.

Wade dominated in the second game as well but needed a little help from her offense, as North Central tied the game at one in the bottom of the seventh to send it to extra innings. First-year Laurin Fabry’s hit scored Cohen for the eventual game-winning run.

The Maroons are now 20-3 with eight games left, six of which are on the road.

Women’s Lacrosse finishes 2-1 at home tournament

The women’s lacrosse team hosted the University of Chicago Lax Playday on Saturday, winning their first two games against Northwestern and Purdue before dropping to Washington University. The weekend left the team in contention for the postseason at 3-2.

“Our teammates who have just started playing lacrosse this year or last year really stepped it up this weekend,” third-year captain Jennifer Hur said. The team’s next game is against Wheaton Thursday on the Midway.