Crime Report 1-29-08

January 26, 12:40 a.m.—Two victims report that while walking on the 1300 block of East 56th Street, two unknown men approached the curb in a vehicle and got out. One of the men displayed a handgun and demanded the victims’ valuables. After obtaining a wallet and a cell phone, the two offenders returned to their vehicle and drove away from the scene. Both were described as male, black, and wearing dark clothing. The offender with the gun was described as slim, while the other was described as of medium build. The vehicle was reported as a white SUV hatchback.

January 27, 2:05 p.m.—An unknown man entered the Cholie’s location at 160 East 53rd Street, displayed a handgun, and demanded money from the cash register. A witness outside the restaurant meanwhile alerted a UCPD officer and informed him of the disturbance. The witness provided a description and reported that the offender had fled into the 53rd Street Metra station. Officers then identified the offender on the northbound platform. Raylon East, 29, was taken into custody and charged with armed robbery. The stolen money and a replica handgun were found on his person. UCPD is investigating East as a possible suspect in a similar robbery that took place on January 21 at the Quick Snacks on East 55th Street.