Swimmers struggle at St. Louis invitational meet

The Chicago swim team competed in its first big away meet this past weekend at the Washington Invite, hosted by Wash U. The men’s team finished eighth, and the women’s team finished sixth. Both teams, though, were missing key swimmers, and team manager Ashley Hansen thought that the roster depletions contributed to the disappointing finishes.

“Considering that we were missing two of our best swimmers, there were some good performances,” she said. Third-year Joe Nagy and fourth-year Jason Brokaw were both absent from the meet.

Among the more impressive performances were third-year Emma Erickson’s second-place finish in the 100-meter backstroke, her first-place finish in the 200-yard backstroke, and her second-place finish in the 400-yard Individual Medley. Second-year Emily Testa had some good results as well, finishing second in the 200- and 400-yard IMs, and fourth in the 200-yard freestyle. The relay team of Eriksson, Testa, second-year Debora Ayoub, and second-year Erin Lyons placed fourth in both the 200-yard medley and the 400-yard freestyle.

The men’s team was missing key performers, but first-year Dan Timke led the way with a ninth-place finish in the 100-yard freestyle, and a 13th-place finish in the 100-meter butterfly.

When asked about any plans the team might have during the frigid Chicago winter, Hansen replied that they were leaving to train in Florida during the interim break. “These are probably the most intense workouts of the year,” she explained. During the one week stay in Ft. Lauderdale, the team will swim upwards of 10,000 yards “on an easy day,” and go through an intense workout program that will last for one to two hours a day.

Each swimmer has his own program, based on his potential and what he most needs to improve. “We’ve only been practicing for four or five weeks. We’re not in shape just yet,” said Hansen. The workouts should go a long way toward getting them there.

Looking ahead for the swim team, the Maroons’ first competition after the break will be on January 11 at the Knox Invite in Galesburg, Illinois.