Career Advancement

The new Career Advancement office adds two programs as part of expansion of services.

The University’s career services office added two new programs, got a new name, and launched a new website this summer, as part of an effort to improve the resources and opportunities offered to students.

The office, formerly known as Career Advising and Planning Services (CAPS), is now called Career Advancement. According to Marthe Druska, Director of Operations and Marketing for the office, the switch came about as the office was absorbed by the Office of Enrollment and Student Advancement.

“The new name is a reflection of the expansion of the office, and of the interest on the part of the University of Chicago to support students’ career ambitions and career development, both while they are enrolled at the University and afterwards,” Druska said in an email.

The pre-professional programs have also been renamed. “Chicago Careers in…” are now referred to as “UChicago Careers in…”. In an e-mail sent to all students, Meredith Daw, Executive Director of the office, said that the name change was to emphasize the connection between the University and the companies who work with Career Advancement.

Career Advancement has also created two new programs intended to meet a greater range of student interests. UChicago Careers in Education Professions provides students with resources to pursue careers in all levels and fields of educational work, from K-12 instruction to research. The program will also continue the offerings of the discontinued Chicago Careers in Higher Education, Druska said.

The other new program focuses on entrepreneurship, providing opportunities for students interested in start-ups, venture capital, and innovation competitions.

Druska added that this series could be beneficial to all students, regardless of their career ambitions. “Because entrepreneurial skills are valued in every industry, all students at the University of Chicago can benefit from the innovation and entrepreneurship programming,” she said.