B-J lounges renamed for alums

The Burton and Judson Lounges in Burton-Judson Courts (B-J) will be renamed in honor of Bertram Cohler (A.B. ’61), the William Rainey Harper Professor of the Departments of Comparative Human Development, Psychology, Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience and Herman Sinaiko (A.B. ’47, Ph.D. ’61), a professor in the Humanities Division and Dean of Students in the College from 1982–1986. Both died during the last academic year.

Cohler served as Resident Head of Linn House in B-J from 1990–94, and Sinaiko lived in B-J when he was a student in the College.

As announced in an e-mail to B-J residents from Dean of the College John Boyer, the lounges, historically known as ‘the club rooms,’ will be named the Bertram Cohler Club Room and the Herman Sinaiko Club Room. In addition, the rooms will host an annual lecture series by winners of the Quantrell Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, which Cohler won in 1975 and 1999 and Sinaiko won in 1963.

The University plans to dedicate the Bertram Cohler Club Room on November 27, while the Herman Sinaiko Club Room will be dedicated in January. ­