Chicago streaks into UAAs

Last Sunday, the Maroons extended their win streak with an away victory over Kalamazoo.

Last Sunday, the Maroons extended their win streak with an away victory over Kalamazoo. The South Siders (7–2–0) shut out the Hornets (4–5–0) by a score of 2–0 and won their fourth consecutive game.

The Maroons took control of the game early on and held a 6–1 shot advantage in the beginning of the first half. Fourth-year captain and forward Natalia Jovanovic scored Chicago’s first goal in the 22nd minute. Jovanovic scored unassisted on a second attempt after her first shot was blocked. The South Siders maintained steady defense and controlled the play throughout the first half with eight shots to Kalamazoo’s five.

The Maroons added to their lead early on in the second half, scoring just 74 seconds into the second half and widening the gap to 2–0. Second-year midfielder Naomi Pacalin tallied her fourth goal of the season off an assist by Jovanovic. The Maroons kept the pressure on and ended the game with a 13–10 shot advantage. Despite several shots on goal, the Hornets weren’t able to get on the scoreboard, allowing the Maroons to pick up their fourth shutout of the season.

“The team won on Sunday’s game against Kalamazoo because we achieved our goals through coach’s framework,” said second-year forward Mary Bittner. “We found the back of the net and played solid defense. Overall, it was a great team effort.”

The Maroons will face off against Carnegie Mellon next at an away game this Saturday in Pittsburgh. The Tartans (6–1–1) are having a strong season and currently hold a five-game win streak. However, the South Siders have been enjoying similar success and have high hopes for the latter half of their season.

“The season so far has been solid with seven wins and only two losses, one of which was in double overtime,” Bittner said. “We are a talented team.”

The South Siders will be led by third-year forward Sara Kwan and fourth-year midfielder Micaela Harms. Kwan is the lead scorer for the Maroons with six goals this season, followed by Harms with four goals. Along with Jovanovic, these players will drive the Maroons’ offense.

“The expectations for the Maroons in our upcoming game against Carnegie is to continue to find success and build our record to qualify for the 2013 NCAA tournament,” Bittner said. “The team must focus on staying disciplined on the field and playing within the framework that coach has constructed for us.”

The Maroons kick off this Saturday against Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh at 1:30 p.m.