Northwestern bests UChicago in executive MBA rankings

Booth placed second, after topping the list two years ago.

By Marina Fang

The Booth School of Business ceded its former top ranking to its rival to the north, Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management, in Bloomberg Businessweek’s bi-annual rankings of the best executive MBA (EMBA) programs, unveiled yesterday.

After topping the list two years ago, Booth ranked second this year, followed by Southern Methodist University’s Cox School of Business, the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School, and UCLA’s Anderson School of Management.

The magazine’s rankings encompass surveys completed by recent graduates—assessing areas such as teaching quality, career services, and curriculum—and a “Director’s Poll,” which solicits input from EMBA program directors. When determining the rankings, the recent graduates’ feedback is given 65 percent of the weight, while the “Director’s Poll” makes up the other 35 percent.

Booth’s full-time MBA program ranked first in The Economist’s annual rankings of the best business programs worldwide, released last month. It has held the top spot in three of the last four years. In awarding Booth the number one spot, The Economist noted its high career-placement statistics and students’ “stellar marks for the education they receive, the quality of their classmates and the school’s careers service.”