UChicago alums, affiliates named 40 Under 40

What do Lupe Fiasco and an Argonne X-ray scientist have in common? They, along with a handful of UChicago affiliates, have been named some of the city’s top innovators in Crain’s Chicago Business’s40 Under 40” list.

UChicago is represented in several fields. In politics, Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s Deputy Chief of Staff for Education, Beth Swanson (M.P.P. ’02), has been a major player in the city’s negotiations with the Chicago Teachers Union.

In the arts, Justine Nagan (A.M. ’04), the executive director of the documentary production company Kartemquin Films, responsible for Hoop Dreams and The Interrupters, has worked to attract minority filmmakers.

The list also includes number-crunching alumnus Dan Wagner (A.B. ’05), who, after working on the Obama campaign, heads Civis Analytics, which works with nonprofits on using data for political and social projects.

The UCMC racked up two names: Sameer Badlani, who is digitizing UCMC’s records, and Thomas Fisher (M.D. ’01), who heads the largest customer-owned insurer in the country.

Harper Court was also represented: David Cocagne is the CEO of Vermilion Development, the main developer of the complex on East 53rd Street.