Student Government allocates Campus Unity Fund

Editor’s Note: Sindhu Gnanasambandan is a Maroon staffer.

Student Government (SG) allocated $14,000 of its $30,000 earmarked Campus Unity Fund at its Assembly yesterday. $7,000 went to Graduate Council’s Party in the Sky, $6,000 for an event to promote unity between students and staff, and $1,000 to revive Café Careers.

Graduate Council’s annual all-graduate student event Party in the Sky’s tickets will be subsidized with money from the fund, according to Graduate Council Chair and second-year M.B.A. student Joshua Johnston (A.B. ’04). Due to the high price of tickets, which were sold for $65 last year, not all graduate students could afford the event in the past. With $7,000 the cost of tickets should be cut in half.

Second-year Sindhu Gnanasambandan proposed an event to promote relationships between students and staff. Though SG did not decide on any event specifics, College Council Chair and second-year Mike Viola as well as College Council representatives third-year Ione Barrows,  first-year Leeho Lim, and first-year Katherine Shen will plan the event with Gnanasambandan.

Café Careers, a program last year that paired undergraduates with graduate students and funded coffee for both, was allocated $1,000. The program, which included sixty pairs last year, was popular and will be expanded with the Unity Fund money, according to Viola.