Track team earns two more awards

Fourth-year Tom Haxton has always been recognized for his running during his career for the Maroons. Realizing his academic success as well, the NCAA awarded Haxton with a postgraduate scholarship last week.

A physics and mathematics concentrator, Haxton was one of 58 athletes selected for the honor in all NCAA divisions.

He also given yet more recognition for his distance running when the UAA named him their Athlete of the Week.

At the Stanford University Invitational on March 27, Haxton surpassed the Division III automatic qualifying standard in the 10,000-meter run (29:52.95). He was the lone DIII competitor in the invitational.

Haxton earns the honor for the first time in 2004 and the 22nd time of his career.

Head Track & Field coach Chris Hall was named NCAA Division III Midwest Region Coach of the Year last week by the United States Track Coaches Association.

During the 2004 season, Hall led both the men’s and women’s teams to third-place finishes at the UAA Championships and then 15th and 31st place finishes, respectively, at the NCAA Division III National Meet.

“I was very pleased to receive this award, primarily because of what it means to the growth of our team. I believe what was recognized is how far our teams have come over the last few years,” Hall said. “I’ve been very fortunate to continue to stay in a sport I truly love. Coaching is my profession but also a hobby for me.”

In addition to team accolades, Hall led five male and two female athletes to All-American Honors at nationals, including fourth-years Patrick Sullivan, who finished third in the 1,500-meter run, and Tom Haxton, who finished fifth in the 5,000-meter run.

Third-year David Barr, an All-American in the men’s distance-medley relay, said, “Coach [Hall] makes me want to succeed not only for myself, but for him as well. He is truly an uplifting spirit, a knowable coach, and a great and personable guy.”

Hall is currently in his third year as a coach at Chicago. During his past three years, Chicago’s men’s and women’s Track & Field teams have produced 13 All-Americans, 21 national qualifiers, and 72 All-UAA performances, including 25 individual championships. He led the men’s team to the UAA team title in 2002.